Author Topic: Battery Bang  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Battery Bang
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
Happy new year everyone.

I just opened the top of my 48v 10ah GM battery to try and re-attach the nut on the back of the charging port as it had fallen off. Not sure what touched what but there was a big bang and flash, the red lead blew off the port, the ring on the other lead is black and mangled and I had to go change my underpants...

Anybody have any advice on where I go from here? Is that likely the end of my battery? Is it safe to store it with the case open and the 2 wires taped over or is it likely to burn my house down one night?

Right it's three thirty on years eve. Time to start drinking and forget about failed electric bike experiments and the fact that I'm going to have to pretend to ride it to work for the next ten years so my wife can't tell me she told me so...

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Battery Bang
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
Is there a fuse?  you maybe lucky and just blown a fuse that could be replaced.  sounds like you made a positive/negative connection between the wires or terminals to make a curcuit. Brown pants moment no doubt! lol

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »

You want to hope that the balancing card is undamaged, you should open it up
and inspect it carefully.

Next, each of the small wires going to the battery pack are a pair that should
read an individual or a set of parallel cells, make sure none of them are open
or shorted. 

If none of the FETs are blown, and  none of the cells are bad, you should just replace the leads and re-cover the balancer.

Fireworks for New Years! Yay.

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. As much as I would like to open it up further to check it I'm just too scared!...
If I could make that much of a flash and bang just opening the top cover god only knows what I could achieve opening the rest of the case.
I could really do with finding someone locally that knows what they are doing but I'm not having much luck.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 12:04:35 AM »
I could really do with finding someone locally that knows what they are doing but I'm not having much luck.

Hi Ben, where exactly are you located in the UK?

Alan

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
e-lmer.
good advice most of the time.
you may have well been speaking greek there. I'm none the wiser reading many posts here.

love gregor.
having no practical effect or useful result is futile

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:58 PM »
Hi Alan

I'm near Cheltenham in Gloucestershire.

I have found a company in Cheltenham that sound like they might be the kind of place that will have a look but they haven't responded to any of my emails. I might have to actually ring them! :o

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 06:39:36 PM »
worst case scenario, I could build you a 54/48v li-ion battery pack with 10ah or 12ah.
If you cannot get things fixed. It could be arranged. I live in Cardiff.  You would have to pick it up, but it would come at a cost that could be worked out........Just a backup  if everything else fails. I am not sure what charger you have but it would have to be compatible. otherwise you would need a charger as well.

As for your battery pack I would rather not get involved to be honest.  I wish I could say I could fix it, but I know my bombs very well, I don't know yours lol ;D

I am not sure what Alan aka Bikemad may add here. he may have a plan. Though I know he is not very active on the forum at the moment so patience maybe needed.

Andrew :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 06:46:59 PM by Andrew »

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
Andrew - sorry about the delay in posting (was waiting to see if Alan had any further suggestions...)

Really appreciate the offer but as you know Telford Dave has offered to try and fix it so I have sent the battery off to him.

It's really good of him to take a look - makes you feel proud to be part of the e-bike community when people are willing to help each other out as much as yourself and Dave...

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:21 PM »
yep, I am sure you are in good hands with him. no need to worry he is well known across the forums.

I hope he can get it sorted for you.

Andrew :)

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 08:15:41 PM »
Just a quick note to say that Dave was able to fix the battery and I am now up and running again.
He is a stalwart of the e-bike community and a jolly decent chap.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
Glad you got it sorted :)