Author Topic: Can you use Magic Pie on a free wheel hub with pillow block bearings?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Vroooom

• Confirmed
I'd like to build a drift trike using the Magic Pie. The trike has a free wheel hub with pillow block bearings as shown here.http://i.imgur.com/wejrfGe.png

My question is - how do I install the Magic Pie on this type of hub? Do I need to buy any adapters or parts that'll allow the installation?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Can you use Magic Pie on a free wheel hub with pillow block bearings?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Unfortunately, it is not really feasible to have the Magic Pie and working pedals sharing the same axle like the existing wheel setup:

It might be possible to make up some adapters to replace the axle bearings on the existing forks:

But it would be a lot easier to find a suitable set of replacement forks to fit your frame to easily mount the Magic Pie.

Forget the pedals, simply adapt some stunt pegs to fit the 14mm axle and use them as footrests instead:

Safety warning
Always wear suitable footwear and protective gear as shown below:

Oops, wrong picture. ::)

I meant this one:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:34:05 PM by Bikemad »

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Can you use Magic Pie on a free wheel hub with pillow block bearings?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 01:46:19 PM »
I built this one from scratch and used a double crown cruiser fork with disc brake mounts. There is a guy on the drift trike forum that machined inserts to run a MPxx on the standard pedal fork. You can't run fwd + pedals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TusWPtvo-gY

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
You can't run fwd + pedals.

It would appear that you can:

I'm sure this front fork assembly could be adapted to take a rear Magic Pie if you really wanted to have both pedals and motor.

Alan