Author Topic: WARNING: Golden Motors in wet climates/uses could become damaged!  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Rayhaque

• Confirmed
    • My Zap Urbee Sightseeing Thing Blog
Hello all,

I recently had a lot of trouble with my 5Kw 72V water cooled Golden Motor. After some disassembly I found that there is not anything sealing off the hall cable where it exits the motor. This motor is otherwise very well sealed and waterproofed. In my particular case, the water crept into my motor (through the top) and rusted/shorted two of my three hall sensors (situated near the bottom). It appears that they use the same rubberized screw fitting for the Y/B/G cables as they do the hall cable, despite the hall cable having a much smaller diameter.

If you have one of these motors and plan to use it in a wet area (I live in Ohio, and drive it year round) or you have a marine use in mind - please be aware of this flaw. I knew that my motor would be exposed to water, which is why I bought the water cooled version.

I have repaired my motor and used an orange "high heat" gasket sealant from Permatex. Moisture tape would probably also work, but the orange gloop is very weatherproof and flexible!

I have also notified some folks at Golden Motor and have asked them to take a look at this design so that they can fix it on the manufacturing floor.

Keep on eTrucking friends!