Author Topic: New member with newly completed ebike  (Read 5580 times)

Offline Wklatt

• Confirmed
New member with newly completed ebike
« on: June 03, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Just signed up and wanted to show off my newly completed ebike. It is a 20" folder and I went with a front wheel Smart Pie 5 from Golden Motor Canada.

My name is Walter, and I live in Langley, BC (near Vancouver). I have two folders and will be converting the 2nd one shortly. I have an airplane, and both folders fit neatly inside. So the plan is to fly around with my wife, and pull out the ebikes for local excursions. We also have a cabin at Harrison Lake with endless logging roads up the mountains. I have been mtn biking there (tremendous exercise up and down the hills) and will be converting a mtn bike ebike as well, which should greatly extend my range of how far up the mountains I can go (long climbs are brutal).

So, not sure how I post pics, etc, but will figure it out as I go...
Walter

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: New member with newly completed ebike
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 04:07:50 PM »
Hi Walter andto the forum.

If you haven't managed to figure it out yet, check out this post regarding posting pictures etc.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:30:25 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Wklatt

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 11:36:07 PM »
OK, here are some pics.

Walter

Offline Wklatt

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 11:43:30 PM »
Just got it running yesterday. Lots more power and speed than I expected for a 400W motor. I have a 13.5 amp hour 52V bottle battery (7.5 lbs). Initial tests yesterday showed a top speed of about 33 km/h and peak watts of about 700. But today I charged the battery fully (58v) and holy crap, saw 42 km/hr for top speed on the flats and peak watts at 900. Acceleration was very brisk. This thing is a hoot!!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 12:20:33 AM by Wklatt »
Walter

Offline Wklatt

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 11:51:50 PM »
Have to give Gary Salo at Golden Motor Canada, a lot of credit for making my buying and build very easy and quick. Those videos and FAQs helped immensely. Thanks, Gary.
Walter

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
Have to give Gary Salo at Golden Motor Canada, a lot of credit for making my buying and build very easy and quick. Those videos and FAQs helped immensely. Thanks, Gary.

Thank you for your positive comments :)

Few of my videos are pretty to look at but most deal with issues in worst case scenarios and that is what people are looking for. Who needs a video where everything goes perfect and no problems arise or are spoken of. I don't see how that kind of video helps anyone.

Gary

Offline Wklatt

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 02:16:04 AM »
Just wanted to report in again with my new ebike installation. Been riding it for about a month now. It is a 20" wheel folder with a Smart Pie 5 front motor conversion using a 52V (58.6V fully charged) battery. I just can't say enough how happy I am with this ebike!!

The SP5 has a lot more power than I expected. I can't believe they spec it as a 400W motor. I have a Batt-Man monitor, and when I start out, I am pulling a steady 20A at full throttle and 1100W after a full charge. Once I am down to 1/2 charge or so, 52 - 54V and about 800W, it becomes more like what I would expect, although still pretty strong. Top speed is about 42 kph at full charge and 33 kph at lower charge, but it accelerates to that very quickly. And it rips up small hills like they aren't even there.

So if anyone thinks this model doesn't have enough power, you might want to reconsider.
Walter