Author Topic: Single Speed Conversion  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Stewart.andrew

• Confirmed
Single Speed Conversion
« on: July 07, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
I have never found a need to shift with my, MagicPie Rear mounted kit.

How could I mount a BMX style Freewheel to the motor and align the chain.  Is there such a thing as a freewheel spacer?

Andrew
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:37:25 PM by Stewart.andrew »

Offline Stewart.andrew

• Confirmed
Re: Single Speed Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:14:32 PM »
Would this work with the Magic Pie?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/222147614531

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
Hi Andrew andto the forum.

Those 18 and 16 tooth sprockets should fit, but they would not allow you to pedal comfortably at higher speeds as your legs would struggle to keep up with the low gearing.

Is there such a thing as a freewheel spacer?

The fatbike version of the MP5 appears to have a very wide spacer threaded onto the standard hub casing, but it might be too wide for the standard axle.
I don't think that chain alignment will be an issue, as the single gear would not be any closer to the hub than the 1st gear on a conventional freewheel cluster:

If your frame does not allow the axle to move forwards and backwards to tension the chain, then you would still need to use a derailleur mechanism to keep the chain tension correct.

Would this work with the Magic Pie?

It should be possible to fit that fixed gear unit onto a Magic Pie, but why would you want to?
Without a freewheel device, the pedals would be very dangerous spinning round at high speed even with the 13 tooth sprocket.  ;)

What are you hoping to gain from all the extra work and costs involved in swapping everything over?

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:42:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Stewart.andrew

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »
How about this model? 

http://ballaratebikes.com/products/12-tooth-freewheel

Would it be compatible?  I'm looking to use a Surly Karate Monkey Frame.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:47:31 PM »
If it uses the standard thread size for a conventional freewheel then it should fit OK on a Magic Pie.
They don't show the rear of that freewheel unit, but if it's the same as this one then it should be fine:

But you will need to fit a pair of decent torque arms to that frame to prevent the axle from spinning and spreading the long dropouts, as they are not designed or intended to be subjected to any axle torque forces whatsoever.
Expecting those dropouts to withstand the huge amount of axle torque that the Magic Pie produces (without fitting torque arms) would be asking for trouble!  :o

Alan