Author Topic: The 'Dual' in the Crown. My Pocket Rocket Dual Mini Bike... <<KAAAH.....BOOM!!>>  (Read 24894 times)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
I'm glad you've brought up the mirrors Alan, they are extra wide - wide angle, but I still only mostly see checkered trousers ;)

:D :D :D
That's such a funny photo.   It's 'ZZ Top' on steroids and burgers.  I wonder if it was the worlds largest twins?? seems to ring bells somewhere in the cobweb depths of my head.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 01:01:39 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I can't believe it took me so long to finally realise that you and Gary are actually twins:

Alan

Thats not Andrew, Thats Ginge!

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Found one of BikeMad!

I guess the outfit makes you more Aerodynamic Alan?

Gary

PS Maybe we should go back to peddling... Naw...

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Found one of BikeMad!

Gary

PS Maybe we should go back to peddling... Naw...

LMAOOOOOOOOOO

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Lycra and and sandals, what a combo, Alan surely is Bike Mad!.  That is so funny :D, nice find Gary. :D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Found one of Bikemad!

Below is what I used to look like before I discovered lycra, it's really quite amazing how it has transformed me into that svelte, streamlined shape you can see in the above picture! ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:24:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
UPDATE!! The 'Dual' in the Crown. Dual Mini Bike...
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 05:19:36 PM »
Just a quick update.
As you may remember I was running a rear 24v 250w motor and a front 36v 250w motor.

Both controllers were set to 9A cont. 18A peak.

Highest peak wattage seen shared between these two motors with a 54v 20ah battery was 750watts, but I have no idea how this was being shared between the different rated motors.

I actually saw 34mph on the Cycle Analyst which was accurately setup and tested against GPS. This of course was going down hill with freewheel ability being a big helping hand ;)

23mph is an average speed recorded on flat ground.

I now have x2 36volt motors running together as the 24v was removed from the rear wheel and relaced by Forum member DirtyGinge (The great teacher that he is means I will be able to tackle this task myself in the future, thanks Mate!).

average top speed on flat remains about the same, 23-25mph
there is a little more 'umph'/torque on initial acceleration but torque is still very very limited compared to a pie :D.
The ride/acceleration seems a bit smoother
With controller setting remaining the same as above I've recorded a peak wattage of 830w, with 800 coming up more commonly.

At present I feel that I can get away with this power delivery as long as I pedal on take offs and of course on hills. I always pedal TBH anyway.

I highly recommend the dual mini set-up, I find it a much more relaxing leisurely ride than riding the Pies, that is if you want to keep the overall feeling that you are riding a bicylce.   ;) 

I've also had to change my front chainwheel to a 48 Tooth,  and I've got a rear freewheel with an 11 tooth cog on the end. I find I use only the two highest gears when upto speed, and maybe 3 to 4 below that when having to stop at traffic lights ready for quicker start off the line.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 10:16:20 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Andrew,

Glad to hear it is finally all sorted out and you are riding again. I know what you mean about the dual mini setup. I really love the lightness of the bike. I use my dual pie ride for my daily travels back and forth to work. It's a power house and pulls me and the trailer uphill to work with ease. But my dual mini is pure pleasure to ride and it's what I use when riding with my son, friends or both.

Gary

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
hehe, and as usual, ive gone completely bonkers and rigged up the 24.....

Going to do a post shortly....brace yourselves

24V mini running at 48V, 10 amps, peak 800 watts ( yup one motor)....

See how long it lasts, then ill get the screwdrivers out :)
Andrew, great teacher ?, it didnt go quite smoothly if I remember lol :D, thanks buddy, always good to spend time with you

How was the wine ?
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
how WAS the wine :D,  I like the fact you've asked that question in past tense, - as it's all gone. Absolutely lovely and strong, I feel spoilt.

800 on one :o  should be interesting what melts first!!  at least if it then happens to my kit you'll have already done a post mortem on your doomed motor ;)

As it happens I have my controllers set to 36volt,  if that makes any difference overall? i'm not sure...

It would be cool (after first death)to get a small metal gear running inside the hub and then see if this strengthens the overall gearing

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
well I know what the wine is like, once you pop, you cant stop

the 36V option will only set the low voltage cutoff in the controller, and could be dangerous for a 48v pack...

From what I have researched, the first thing to go is the hall sensor wiring ( insulation melts), then the gears.......

Ive had to set some rules at this ampage, all of which ill detail on the thread, but hell, what a workout today :D, need an epoch
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute