Author Topic: The 'Dual' in the Crown. My Pocket Rocket Dual Mini Bike... <<KAAAH.....BOOM!!>>  (Read 24893 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
I maybe living on borrowed time with the amps, perhaps I should turn down the peak amp?

I have a 42 tooth chain wheel up front and a Shimano freewheel 28 -14 tooth cog and I surprisingly run out of gears which tells me I must be doing 20mph.  I have yet to GPS the bike for speed.

The bike is too fast at present as I do still want to be able to pedal with a little effort.  

Anyways, heres's some more piccys...

Sarah's bike..

Todays "His and Hers"  bikes and an off road test ride....

We got back home after about 90minutes of riding and went straight to the shops to buy Gel cushioning seat covers :D :D

Wow People Pictures!! I Luv it! Suck in that gut Andrew!! Haha What a pretty girl like that doing with a shlub like you! lol just kidding :) Sorry too many beers, just having a little fun at your expense, please forgive me! :D

I know what you mean about the gel covers. Did you notice the seat on my bike its like sitting on a soccer ball :)
Gary
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:58:38 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic

b...sorry Gary, didn't mean to be sales prevention......dual pies were great, but at my work I had to go up about 6 steps.....went like this...grab bike, lift bars, hit thtottle by accident, graze shin etc etc....

Please don't try to restrict your comments worrying about my sales. I'm not here for that I'm here for fun and education! 6 steps that would be a hassle. I bump mine up two steps nightly and drag the bob trailer with four batteries in it as well. Thats enough of a work out for me! :P

Gary
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:00:23 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
I should have known that posting people pics would lead to trouble - lol

It's amazing how a camera lens distorts things out of shape, it's especially bad on flat surfaces which tend to show up 'slightly' rounded ;)

Anyway, back to business

I think I will drop the voltage on my two controllers today to 36v, and see how it compares. I don't think I have the hands and patience left in me to wire up my cycle analyst just yet, although it's tempting. the only problem with packing everything into a frame bag is that soldering and dismantling becomes a real issue
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:01:12 PM by spellchecker »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Sorry buddy :)
Let the forum know that out of the 2 of us, I am the chubby one :D.....

Nice frames though, where did you get on eBay ?

I think changing the power won't make much difference, best suggestion is to fine tune the amps.....drop 1 for average and 2 for peak until it feels better

Or if it's top speed, then if you can get a charger, we can reconfigure the batteries to a lower voltage higher ah...36 volt chargers are about £50....or could be cheaper if you contact Gary quickly before my order ships lol
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:55:29 PM by spellchecker »
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
this is the frame I bought... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BANKRUPT-26-WHL-ALLOY-DAWES-DISC-TAMARAK-BIKE-FRAME-/170630333610?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27ba5c44aa

This one is good for the price if you want a steel frame and forks and only V-Brakes, saves the hassle of finding the correct fitment forks,headset etc... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BANKRUPT-26-WHL-18-BIKE-FRAME-AND-FORKS-HEADSET-STEM-/170614100577?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item27b9649261

Some good deals from this seller, I spoke to him on the phone to change my order from the steel frame to the Alloy frame and he was helpful. Postage was free and quick and frame was well packed

I've turned down the voltage to 36v on both controllers and there wasn't(as you say) any difference.

Watt meter showed 910 Watts peak

I'll start dialing down the amps, see what occurs,   and don't start me spending my money again, I'm all done!  for now anyways.... ;)

Sarah's bike was bought already built, total bargain bought end of season as new model was coming out
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:01:59 PM by spellchecker »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Yup, I'm bored again...just looking at ways to sit comfortably my 30 ah 18650 cells.....

So anyway, I'm investigating making custom fibre glass moulds.....jeez I need to start knitting or something

measured any heat difference between your 24 and 36 volt minis ?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:52:40 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
As yet I have felt no heat from the motors, though the frame bag with battery and controllers gets quite warm!! I haven't really given the motors a proper beating yet, as riding with Sarah needs patience when doing an average speed of about 8mph ::).    the one cool thing about these light weight motors is that I've found myself over the last two days off-roading, which I would not do with the weight of a big direct drive wheel.

Never mind fibre glass, what about carbon! -  Phwooar! :D

I've never used fibre glass, but I bet you could mould some very user friendly cases or battery packs,  it's a very interesting idea.

How's about BMS's for your packs?  Do they exist as components which can be bought?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:49:21 PM by Andrew »

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
Very nice bikes both of them, good and professional work.

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Very nice bikes both of them, good and professional work.

Thanks mate. Did you hear that everyone... "professional" ;D  I like GonZo, he's a cool dude!

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
If Sarah ever reads the forum .......

Anyway, yes indeed BMS's can be purchased......I placed my order last week for a 10AH charger from BMSBATTERY.com, before learning the forum comments on endless sphere that all bms and chargers form them blow up eventually...dang,, I don't want no 80ah blowout :o

So I hear that the following company do great BMS systems, from what I learned, for 2 custom builds landed cost was £100 for one forum user form china to USA, so I guess its a case of lets all save up our money and apply a bulk purchase, should help a bit to lower the unit cost...If it doesnt hit 15-20 per PCB, don't seem worth it to me

http://www.szsmartec.com/EN/

than major battery reconstructive work on each battery pack, and a sh!tload of insulating tape...my outdoor battery shed was much cheaper

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7205705/Trail/searchtext%3EOUTDOOR+STORAGE.htm
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:18:53 PM by spellchecker »

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
We have used BMSs from BMSbattery with out technical problems but it is a nightmare to order from them... but we still order from them occasionally.

As well we usually have stock of the szs BMSs but not all models anyway if some of you are interested on some particular models I can add them to the next order for them.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Thanx Gonzo, fills me with a little bit of hope .....

One of the problems I think the long distance guys have is getting home, and getting the batteries charged again for the next day...so the 10Ah charger should hopefully take care of that

thanks for the BMS offer too....we specifically are looking for 18650 cells 13s.....probably about 40A output peak...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 04:16:25 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic

so who else is planning their second / third / fourth electric bike ?

Its funny you bring that up, it has now been about 3 weeks since I finished my CCM build. I find my self searching ebay for a recumbent frame again. I think its time to sell a few of my previous projects

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
I love the Avatar Gary!  that bloke gets about. I recognised the avator pic that I'm using from a"Guiness book of World records" book when I was a child in the 70's. I'm sure he was under the title for World largest man. How times have changed, he's meerly a featherweight in todays ever accelerating consumer society :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 07:33:06 PM by Andrew »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Andrew, I noticed in the picture below that you've removed the mirrors, no doubt a last minute attempt to reduce the load on the poor motorbike, but I guess they probably didn't stick out far enough to be of any use to you anyway!

I can't believe it took me so long to finally realise that you and Gary are actually twins:

Alan