Author Topic: Two 48v10ah Batteries on a RAK-001 and room for one more!  (Read 9645 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Two 48v10ah Batteries on a RAK-001 and room for one more!
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:33:13 AM »
I thought I would try something I have been thinking of for a long time. Mounting two batteries on the sides of a rak-001. Turns out it was alot easier then I expected and works Great!

Gary

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: Two 48v10ah Batteries on a RAK-001 and room for one more!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »
Can I see it with the batterys off?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 12:23:14 AM »
Sorry for the delay, It took a few dys to get more pictures.

I didnt want to slide off the batteries as everytime its done the plates get a little looser and eventually the battery rattles on the plate. There is nothing as tight as the first time you slide the battery on. Anyway as you can see my method was to just bolt two plates back to back pinching the rack on each side. The two top bolts on each side are resting on the bars preventing any downward slide. Here are a few more pictures from the ride just for fun..

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »
Hey Gary didn't you put a 16" cast wheel on the trailer? What happened to that :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »
Yes there was a 16 inch external pie on the trailor. I removed it for using the trailor with the tandem bike as I didnt want to rewire the tandem I still have the motor and am keeping it for future use. Since adding the dual battery rack on the tandem I don't think I will need the trailor on it any more. I am sure by spring the Motor will be back on the trailer and the TRI-PIE will live again!

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 03:42:27 PM »
I Just converted my townie battery rack to dual battery as well. This time I took a few pictures as I went along before adding the batteries so things could be clearer to understand.

First I placed two battery plates back to back and added two bolts at the top. Make sure the plates are oriented so the battery slides on from the back. The these bolts will rest on the rack itself preventing it from sliding down when tightened.

Then I tightened them up just snug enough so they do not slide and added two more bolts at the bottom. You have to make sure you don't tighten them to much as they will reshape the plates and make it more difficult to slide on the batteries.

Then I did the other side the same.

The plates I use are the none rattle type and very difficult to slide the batteries on and off the first few times. If the batteries are slid on and off enough eventually they will loosen up and rattle anyways. The top plate I used is the old style that still works well but the battery does rattle. I call that the "Guest" battery plate and use it for testing other batteries or taking along an extra for a longer ride.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:53:19 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 03:03:19 AM »
Just thought I would add in a photo of my regular battery setup. This does seem to be a good way of getting 48v20ah in a reasonably strong setup with a slightly lower center of gravity then on top of the rack.

Gary