Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 5976 times)

Offline dpetticord

• Confirmed
Introduction
« on: July 15, 2012, 02:39:53 AM »
Hello,

I'm an Electrical Engineer who is a lot closer to retirement than from getting his BSEE degree.

Forturnately, I love the fact my chosen field gives me the opportunaty to explore and apply new Technologies.

For example, I have an application which requires high torque and slow RPM.  The end customer is looking in to ways to upgrade an old design.

The standard answer would have been geared, brushed DC motors.

To start with I am looking to upgrade to brushless motors.  I am also looking at direct drive.

The technology exists.  It looks like Golden Motors is making this technology cost competative.

So far I have been very impressed with what I have found.

Count me as one of those very interested in the soon-to-be-released Mini Pie.

I would have replied to the Mini-pie thread but it doesn't look like I have permission yet.

Am I missing something or will I get permission later?

Regards,
David Petticord
Complete Networks, Inc.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 02:43:24 AM by dpetticord »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »

Hi David andto the forum.

You're now confirmed and should therefore be able to post without the anti-spam restrictions.

Alan

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 07:17:32 PM »
Hi David

So what are you building?

Welcome to the world of Pie.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline dpetticord

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 08:33:03 PM »
Thank you both for the Welcome.

Bikemad, thanks for moving my post to the correct place.

Dennis, please excuse me for being little coy about the application I am working on.  I would like to get a little further down the rode before going public.  However, feel free to send me a private message with guesses.

Here is a hint.  My first choice for a motor would have been Allied Motion's MF0150050 if it wasn't so darn expensive.
http://www.alliedmotion.com/Products/Series.aspx?p=10&s=1

I suspect there are lots of applications which could and would use brushless direct drive motors if the cost wasn't multiple times of using geared motors.

Maybe the mass market appeal of E-bikes can result in a more affordable direct drive motor for general use.

At the risk of being overly optimistic, I'm hoping GM's mini-motor could fit in that niche.

Even if the mini-motor isn't perfect for e-bikes it might be ready for other uses.

Offline truly_bent

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
Hi David;
Glad to have a genuine EE on board. How about reverse engineering the MP controller for starters? Somebody was looking for a schematic. ;)

Given that these Megaflux frameless torque motors have their rotors on the inside (MPs have theirs on the outside), you must have been thinking about using this in some kind of mid-drive capacity. I'm in the process of designing a mid-drive setup using the GM BLT motors and I'd be curious to know what kind of setup you had in mind.
:)
Burley Canto recumbent w/ MP II, Lyen 18FET controller, 48V 20AH LiFeP04, Cycle Analyst, and 4 pounds of zip-ties

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 04:37:20 AM »
Hi David,

As a retired manufacturing engineer, I can understand  why you would be looking to incorporate a drive system without the maintenance of brushes, and without the pain of packaging and maintenance of gear drives, the reliability of solid state electronics, good torque, moderate power and easy integration into a positioning system.  24 VDC operation is a benefit, as is forward /reverse in software.  Drive transmission only requires the mounting of a tire on the rim of the motor, mounting the motor in an X/Y gimbal, hooking up the location data acquisition, and you start loading pallets onto the airplane.   Easy, Peasy.  Oh, and they are cheap!

Make sure you spec order high L10  (20K hours or so) bearings, because the MP3  bearings are pretty cheap, and would be a pain to replace when in service.

Just to clue you in, Alan is very bright, very helpful, and likes to show off with his CAD skills.  :)  It would be a good idea to get him onboard your project.

So what are you designing? 

TTFN,
Dennis 

Offline dpetticord

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 12:03:07 AM »
Please excuse the delayed response.  I am still getting used to how this forum mechanics work.

Hi David;
Glad to have a genuine EE on board. How about reverse engineering the MP controller for starters?

Sorry, I plan on using my own controller.  It looks like I am going to be ordering an HBS36R.  If I understand correctly, it doesn't come with a controller.

Given that these Megaflux frameless torque motors have their rotors on the inside (MPs have theirs on the outside), you must have been thinking about using this in some kind of mid-drive capacity. I'm in the process of designing a mid-drive setup using the GM BLT motors and I'd be curious to know what kind of setup you had in mind.
:)

Good observation on the inner versus outer rotor.  That is the hint I was providing.

However, my application isn't an e-bike.  It also isn't chain driven.  And, if I am successful, there will be no gears.

As a retired manufacturing engineer, I can understand  why you would be looking to incorporate a drive system without the maintenance of brushes, and without the pain of packaging and maintenance of gear drives, the reliability of solid state electronics, good torque, moderate power and "easy integration into a positioning system".

"Easy integration into a positioning system" is a key element

24 VDC operation is a benefit, as is forward /reverse in software.

"forward /reverse in software"  software control is a key element and, yes, both forward and reverse is needed.

Drive transmission only requires the mounting of a tire on the rim of the motor, mounting the motor in an X/Y gimbal, hooking up the location data acquisition, and you start loading pallets onto the airplane.   Easy, Peasy.

EXCELLENT GUESS! ...  but no

Believe it or not, our company worked on testing cargo handling equipment.  And the system was very much lots of small tires moving and positioning pallets.  That would be a very good application for brushless hub motors.

Oh, and they are cheap!

The overriding key element.  The feature this brushless motor would be adding to the new design is desirable but not essential.  Too high of a price would be a non-starter.

Make sure you spec order high L10  (20K hours or so) bearings, because the MP III  bearings are pretty cheap, and would be a pain to replace when in service.

Just to clue you in, Alan is very bright, very helpful, and likes to show off with his CAD skills.  :)  It would be a good idea to get him onboard your project.

Thank you for the advice

So what are you designing? 

One more clue which I strongly suspect is one too many for this crowd.

The motor will never make more than two continuous revolutions.  (Possibly the limit will be only one)