Author Topic: Power Connector  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Power Connector
« on: February 21, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »
I finally come to fit a replacement battery to my MP3 kit the mileage range down to around 20
My old battery has an Anderson type high current connector but the new battery has a Kettle/computer type fitting
the supplied connector lead does not look capable of carrying enough current to the mp3 sysyem. Is there a heavier type of such fitting available . Also the new battery is 48v 10A the old one being  48v 20A  should I look at rebuilding the old one?
Thanks all

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Power Connector
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:09:42 AM »
Hi Brian, what is the stated maximum continuous current output for your new battery?

Many cheaper eBike batteries are only really suitable for use with 250~500W motors (approximately 5~10Amps at 48V).

If your battery cannot supply high current (~30Amps) it might keep cutting out when your MPIII is under maximum load.

Please Note, it would be extremely easy (and also very dangerous) to inadvertently connect the battery directly to the 240V mains using a standard computer style IEC C13 mains connector (especially if the charger input uses the same plug) instead of the charger output lead.  :o
I am pretty sure that it would be illegal to sell a battery with a IEC C13 mains connector being used for a low voltage DC connection in the UK. ;)

If you decide to fit the new battery, keep an eye on the lead and connector on the new battery to make sure it isn't getting too warm under load. You may also find that the power is much lower than before even if the battery does not cut out under load.

If you know exactly what cells are used in your old battery, you could hopefully find out how much it would cost to get new ones to rebuild the old pack, which may or may not be cost effective to do.
If the cells are spot welded inside the pack, it would require a spot welder to rebuild the pack with new cells, as the cells can sometimes be damaged by the high temperature required to solder the connections.

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 12:00:51 PM »
Thanks Alan. Looks at though I have made an expensive blunder ! As the replacement batter is unused I may try to sell it on as new with charger. 48v 10A what are they worth ?
I'll ask around about a rebuild. I had a gut feeling about tis not being a simple swap

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
Without knowing the exact details of the battery it is difficult to value it, but you must already know how much it cost you.

If you're going to sell your battery, please be aware that it can be expensive to post, as many of the cheaper delivery services will not accept lithium batteries because they are classified as dangerous goods.  :o

I suggest you find out exactly how much it will cost (and who would be prepared to deliver it) before putting a postage figure on your listing/advert etc. ;)

Alan

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 10:10:25 AM »
Thanks Alan It was  a daft question really.
Update I sold the battery much quicker than I  expected. Now what to do about the failing  20Amp er
I wonder if rebuilding is a viable option
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 06:46:39 PM by Bwizz »

Offline Bwizz

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Think the old batter is a GM supplied item would that give any clues as to how the cells are connected?