Author Topic: HPC vs. VEC  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Daniel.B

• Confirmed
HPC vs. VEC
« on: November 13, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
Hi,

I ordered the HPM-10KW from a German retailer (I live in Austria) which I already got.

I thought the best device to use as controller would be the VEC-500. I found it on the Golden Motor page and  it seemed like it would fit perfect (Best Tuned for BLDC Motor HPM10KW).

Unfortunately the controller has not been delivered yet, so I used my time on some research to be best prepared when it finally arrives.
As it seems everybody else uses controllers from the HPC series, but why? Are they better? Or easier to program?

Additionally I would like to ask why there is no wiring harness being sold for the VEC series? Is it included?  Or are you supposed to make one yourself? Neither on goldenmotor.com, nor on the German retailer page there is anything mentioned.

What are your recommendations? Stay with the Sine Wave Controller, or go with the Sqare Wave one?
I appreciate every soonest input!

Daniel

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: HPC vs. VEC
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:35 PM »
Hi Daniel,

it is just the opinion of an old fart, but I would never use a square wave controller if a sine wave was available.  My experience with industrial variable frequency drives in the 5-200 HP range was that the drives were about equal in reliablity, but the motors failed more often with square wave drives.  There have been no more motor failures in the decade after converting all the drives to sine wave . A few hundred motor/drives were in use when I retired.

Hmm, that makes me wonder if ABB makes BLDC drives.

TTFN
Dennis'

Offline Daniel.B

• Confirmed
Re: HPC vs. VEC
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 01:07:29 PM »
Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I've also read somewhere that the motor drives smoother and generates less noise with sine wave controllers.
In fact they do, but only for industrial use :)