Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 reversing motor  (Read 1598 times)

Offline Grg_p

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 reversing motor
« on: February 12, 2020, 12:56:48 AM »
I’m building 4 wheel side by side bicycle. I have a motor driving each rear wheel. To put 11 gear cassette on I reversed one of the motors. Now I need to get both motors running in the same direction.

Motor A and B are rear wheel drive. Motor A is normally forward rotating Motor B is normally backward rotating. Motor A connect black/blue reverses A and Motor B runs in opposite direction. Motor B connect black/blue reverses B and Motor A runs in opposite direction. No connections on A or B run in opposite direction. Connect both Motor A and B motors run opposite each other.
If either motor is reversed then the cruise control will not work. Thanks Greg

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 reversing motor
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
Hi Greg andto the forum.

On the Magic Pie 5, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires need to be swapped to reverse the motor's default direction.

You will need to remove the controller on the reversed wheel and swap the two pairs of wires:
The Blue and Yellow Phase wires can simply be transposed by unplugging them from the controller and then plugging them back into the opposite connectors.

The Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires are a bit more difficult to transpose, as you may have to cut them and resolder them to the opposite coloured wires if you are unable to release the Green and Yellow wire connector pins from the plastic housing to swap them over within the connector:

The soldered joints should ideally be covered in heat shrink tubing (or else use insulation tape) to keep them safely insulated.

I suggest that you make a note of the original connections of both the Phase wires and the Hall connector wires by either taking a clear photo (or drawing a diagram of the connections on paper etc.) to avoid any confusion.

Check out Gary's Magic Pie III Controller Swap and Installing a Magic Pie Vector Controller videos to see how to remove the controller.

Here is a diagram showing how to remove the cable retaining clip from the axle prior to removing the controller from the wheel:

Once the wiring has been swapped, you can connect the Black and Blue reverse wires from both motors to a single reverse switch.

Alan

Offline Grg_p

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie 5 reversing motor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »
Thank you. It works great now.
Thanks Greg