Author Topic: Set-Up of HPC700 96V and 20kW BLDC Motor  (Read 8130 times)

Offline Sourcefinder

• Confirmed
Set-Up of HPC700 96V and 20kW BLDC Motor
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:18:04 PM »
Hi,

after having problems with the contactor of the HPC700 controller I sent it back to goldenmotor.
They repaired it - thanks a lot to goldenmotor - and sent it back including setting up the wrist throttle.

I installed it and tested it but under full speed I get only a power of around of 13 kW (measured by the battery management during use). Motor and controller should do 20kW continous and 50 kW peak power.

When the controller is switched on it makes kind of whistling noise - I guess it is because it has a little consumption of energy even if motor is not turning - you can see it on the first picture. If I had running the system with a potentiometer there was no whistling noise.

Another thing I am not sure if it could have influence on the power is that I don't use a brake.
Software says "R" for reverse gear which is ok and BRAKE. But when I move the wrist throttle it starts moving.

Attached I post screenshots of my set-up.
Do you have any idea why I get only 13kW power?
Battery is 30 pcs Winston 100Ah which is in idle around 100 Volt.
Current under full speed is now around 130 Amps.

Thanks!
Best Regards
Hermann

Offline Sourcefinder

• Confirmed
Re: Set-Up of HPC700 96V and 20kW BLDC Motor
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 08:21:42 PM »
next pics attached

Offline Sourcefinder

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:54 PM »
last pics

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:53:57 PM »
Do you have any idea why I get only 13kW power?
Battery is 30 pcs Winston 100Ah which is in idle around 100 Volt.
Current under full speed is now around 130 Amps

Hermann,

Assuming the motor is reaching the expected maximum rpm for the voltage being used, then the motor will only draw as much current as it needs to overcome the torsional load on the impeller shaft.
If you were to place more load on the motor, then the current being drawn would also have to increase to maintain the same rpm.

Also, the petrol engine that you have replaced would have developed its maximum torque somewhere near its maximum rpm (which is probably at a higher rpm than your "3000-5000rpm" electric motor) whereas the electric motor you are using develops its maximum torque at low rpm, and it usually reduces as the revs increase. ;)

With a car (or motorcycle) you would simply select a higher gear ratio to place more load on the motor, but I'm guessing you have a direct 1:1 drive to your impeller on the jet drive propulsion system.

You may need to use some form of overdrive gearing between the motor and the impeller to allow it to spin the impeller faster than the motor shaft.
Doubling the impeller speed (by fitting a 1:2 gear ratio gearbox) would probably draw four times as much current to achieve the same motor rpm.

Alan

Offline Sourcefinder

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 09:28:21 PM »
Hi Alan,

thanks for your feedback.
I had a look on the motor data and the gasoline-engine's data.
You are right, I need a gearbox 1:1.5

Did not know that the motor increases torque to zero around 3500-4000 rpm....

I'll tell you once I have installed a transmission.... maybe chain pr belt system with different wheels for testing....

Thanks a lot!

Offline Sourcefinder

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:57:40 AM »
Hi,

We have now a gearbox which makes more speed on the propeller shaft.

Which parameter in the software is responsible for the maximum current the cobtroller draws from the batteries?

At the moment we have 250Amps....

Thanks
Regards
Hermann

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
So the 1:1.5 gearbox has nearly doubled the power from 13kW to 25kW, which is very close to the 26kW that I would have expected with a 1:1.5 ratio.

Doubling the impeller speed (by fitting a 1:2 gear ratio gearbox) would probably draw four times as much current to achieve the same motor rpm.

The maximum current available from the battery can be limited by the "Bus max current(A)" parameter, which you had set at 280A in one of your previous posts:

But you may still need to increase the gear ratio further if you are trying to extract even more power from the motor, as the 250A current draw that you have at the moment may still be limited by the physical load on the motor rather than the controller's maximum current settings. ;)

Alan