Author Topic: Intermittent Power fault  (Read 2503 times)

Offline Marcus

• Confirmed
Intermittent Power fault
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
Hi

I have a problem with my Magic Pie 2. Some days ago the system went down. When I turn on the key on the battery (48V 10Ah) there is no indication on the throttle lamps. First it showed as a lose contact and I found that there probably is a brake/rupture in the cable between the splitting box and the contact to the battery. By splitting box I mean the box where the cable coming out from the engine is split into battery and signal cables. I found this lose contact by bending the cable in this spot and when the cable was slightly bent, I had power, and when I straighten the cable, there was no power. Today I have no power at all what ever. I had a plastic clip in this spot to attach the cable to the frame. I did not tighten it that hard, so that should not be the reason (I hope). Should I just peel this cable and se if there is a rupture?

I’m also curios about the cable area. The cable that is connected directly to the battery is quite thick. This thick cable is then connected to a thinner cable (that is significantly longer). After the “split box” battery and signal cables share a very narrow cable into the engine. Is there a risk this cable area is to small? That we have loss in efficacy and that the cable will “melt”? I wonder if this is what could have happened to my cable?

Best regards,
Marcus

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Intermittent Power fault
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »
Hi Marcus andto the forum.

It is highly unlikely to be a melted power cable, unless you have been pushing a lot more than 100 Amps into your pie. ;)

I suspect it will simply be either a broken wire or a poorly soldered joint, but it might also be worth checking the battery output first to make sure it isn't a poor battery power connection or the switch contacts themselves that have failed in addition to your original fault.

If the fault is in the motor harness, you will have to carefully cut open the molded rubber body of the junction unit with a very sharp knife in order to gain access to the wiring inside. Make sure your battery is disconnected first!  ::)

I have never cut one of these junction assemblies open, but I would expect to find a small circuit board with all the wires soldered to it.

Please let us know what you find.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 05:22:46 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Marcus

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 05:46:11 AM »
Marcus

I have checked the battery and its fine. So the next step will be to improvise my MacGyver skills. I will first check if there actually is a rupture in the cable where I suppose it is. Otherwise I will probably do as you say and cut open the “rubber box”  :-[.  I will keep you updated. It can be a while though, as I am leaving for a two week vacation this weekend. 

Marcus

Offline Henry Chang

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »

It looks like there is a rupture in the main cable, sometimes, the broken wire in the signal cable, also like that, when the cable was slightly bent, have power, when straighten the cable, no power.

Offline Quiro

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:26:44 PM »
Hi,
I have had the same problem. First the motor was running with out doing anything then stopped working and finally work again but the brakes where not working. So when I was trying to find out the problem I bend the signal cable and then everything work again. I changed all the signal cable for a new one and I was not having problems. However the brakes and throttle are not water prove so you should protect them with something (I use a plastic bag until I get something better). Because I got again the problem with the brake that is not working. I wait for a some days to dry and bend a little bit the cable and now is working again.

I hope you find a solution,

good luck