Author Topic: Disassembled Magic Pie III to replace bearings, what else?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline RosscoP

• Confirmed
Disassembled Magic Pie III to replace bearings, what else?
« on: April 12, 2017, 09:59:44 AM »
Hello all,

I just joined the Forum to ask a question from all of you who may be doing this a while or longer than I have. I got this pie 3 in 2012-13. Almost 3000 miles or more from not logging everything from my speedict. I'm glad the bearings have lasted this long because I live in the Pacific Northwest Willamette Valley and I swear a third of my rides are wet. The small bearing is toast I'm definitely going to replace that and maybe the large bearing depending if my bearing house has one and the price. The 120mm seems to be in pretty good shape after cleaning. Also cleaned the rust off of the armature and magnets but wondering while I'm in here and have everything apart is there anything worth changing in the controller or looking at? I'm by no means scared of the controller but taking electronic housings apart that are working fine is usually a bad idea. I run 18 lifepo4's at 57.6v*** without regen to not push the pixie wrangling fets so it's been ran relatively hard at times. I appreciate any input and thanks for reading.

Best cheers,
Ross

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Disassembled Magic Pie III to replace bearings, what else?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »
Hi Ross andto the forum.

I recommend that you replace the small metal shielded bearing with a 6302-2RS (rubber seal type) as it should last longer than the original 6302Z metal shielded bearing.

The larger 6917-2RS bearing can be found on eBay if your bearing supplier can't supply one at a reasonable price.

It might be worth removing the six screws that hold the controller on (using the correct screwdriver bit) and applying some copper grease to the threads before refitting them again. This should make it much easier to remove the controller at a later date, if it ever needs to be replaced.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:42:25 PM by Bikemad »