Author Topic: Size of the wires & Question about battery compatibility with MP5  (Read 3179 times)

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
I am curious...does anyone know what size are the black/red wires connecting the kit to the battery?

Are they 6, 8 or 10 gauge?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:47:43 AM by Wilson_wu »

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
Re: Size of the wires
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 07:47:12 AM »
I bit the bullet and bought the Magic Pie 5 and a Lifepo4 battery to go with it.

Just by looking at the specs, will I have any problems making this battery compatible with the Magic Pie 5?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0219/0154/files/BLF-3630V_User_Manual_rev_08_12_2016.pdf?2825655064099977198

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Size of the wires & Question about battery compatibility with MP5
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 07:30:28 PM »
Hi Wilson,

That battery will be fine for the MP5, but I am puzzled as to why the specifications show such a low charging current of just 2A, as a 2A charger would take over 15 hours to fully recharge a completely discharged 30Ah battery.
Fortunately, the charger that is optionally supplied with battery has a much higher rated charge current of 4A which would theoretically charge the battery in almost half the time.  ;)

The battery wires on the MP5 controller are smaller than 10 Gauge, and probably nearer to 12 Gauge.

Alan

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 03:59:59 AM »
Hey Bikemad...Just wanted to take time to say thanks for answering all my questions! :) You've been great.

Offline Wilson_wu

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 01:21:38 AM »
I'm just going to bring my bike to a LBS to get the rear wheel + gears removed. I just don't know what freewheel removal tool to use and I don't want to risk damaging it.

Although I need a freewheel tool to remove the gears, do I need the same tool to reinstall the gears on the Golden Motor hub motor?

LOL I bet many of the reactions on here are:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fc/26/95/fc2695f8d447c0f59ffc4f7e7a02d7ac.jpg

Let's hope my bike doesnt fall apart on me <3

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »
Hi Wilson,

Before you visit your LBS to remove the freewheel you might want to check whether your existing sprockets are threaded or splined.

The Magic Pie requires a thread on freewheel, but most newer bikes tend to use a splined cassette instead:

Check out this YouTube video for more information

The easiest way to check is to slowly pedal backwards to turn the freewheel/cassette in relation to the wheel, and then see whether the splined opening for the removal tool rotates with the cassette or remains stationary with the wheel.

If the splined opening rotates with the sprocket it will be a splined cassette, but if it remains stationary with the wheel it will be a thread on freewheel.  ;)

You will need to purchase a thread on freewheel if your existing sprockets are of the splined cassette variety.

The correct freewheel can usually be fitted without any special tools. Check out this thread for more details.
Removing the freewheel from the Magic Pie will require a freewheel removal tool to suit your particular freewheel, which must also have a large hole in the centre that will pass over the 14mm axle.
As these are mainly used for eBikes, most standard bike shops may not stock them.

Alan