Author Topic: Tilting trike video  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Tilting trike video
« on: April 07, 2014, 03:26:29 AM »

Hi Folks,

Alan asked for a quick video some time ago, and we finally got a decent day, so here it is.  My dear wife seems to have turned off the auto focus ability somehow.....

http://youtu.be/mcNb-95R1zE

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Tilting trike video
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »

Thanks for the video Dennis.

Unfortunately, it looks like the self-righting mechanism is a bit too effective, as you the bike was able to lean in a straight line but not when you cornered (although your body was leaning a fair amount).

I think you should mechanically link the tilt mechanism to the steering using cables or pull/push-rods etc. to ensure it tilts the right way and when it's supposed to.
It might need some form of centrifugal/mechanical governor device to reduce the angle of lean as its speed increases.

Here is a very simple form of leaning trike on YouTube, or a different version which is a bit more sophisticated.

Perhaps this tilting set-up could be adapted for your Morgen

Alan

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 02:16:12 AM »
Hi Alan,

I think I mentioned that I was playing around with the tilting setup.  I have found that there is a VERY scary setting, and since I am nearly 70 years old, I decided to approach the parameter changes from the sissy side.   During the video, I had the bits set so the self righting near at its strongest.  I have already found the "tipping point" setting, and it was not fun for an old fart.  A video of that run would have been very amusing for most folks, I suspect, but not so much for me.....  Any question why I wear a full face hat and gloves?

I have to admit I love the hydraulic disc brakes on the rear wheels.  They are easily modulated, but when I pull hard on the lever, the wheels  stop and it goes to dead slow in a very  short straight line. No drama.   The 0 to 25 mph is pretty good, too.  :)  50+ volts at 40+ amps makes it fun. 

Is  it YELLOW enough to be seen on the street?

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Gregor

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 01:21:28 AM »
They call me mellow yellow.
having no practical effect or useful result is futile