Author Topic: Narrow Caliper for Magic Pie; what are you using?  (Read 4373 times)

Offline VeloV

Narrow Caliper for Magic Pie; what are you using?
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »
Howdy,
I'm finding that many of the calipers we normally use(Avid, Shimano etc) are too wide for the Pie.

Which make and model are folks finding useful with the Pie?

Thanks,
VeloV

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Narrow Caliper for Magic Pie; what are you using?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:49:14 AM »
Hi There

Im using avid BB7's, but have had to put some spacing washers and longer bolts....I thought it would be too weak but so far has proved perfect in several emergency situations....fingers crossed :)160 on the rear pie and 185 on the front wheel
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »
Same same

Used washers on mount. Made custom mount for rear. Dual 203mm lol

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:35:50 AM »
3-4mm was needed behind the disc on my set-up.  About 4 small washers piled up and super glued on to the back of the disc in line with each bolt hole on the disc. The superglue enabled me to pick up the disc(without washers falling off) and slide it over the motor cable and into position before bolting on. Make sure the washer size is small enough to sit flush against the pie hub. the exact size I cannot remember off hand but I can probably find out if you need to know.  My disc bolts were just about long enough but you may need longer ones.
My brakes:  Clarks Skeletal Hydraulic brakes. They are about the cheapest hydraulics you can get, they stop very well but I have had lots of problems with rounded bolt heads and I had warped discs with the kit.  So once i'd bought new discs and new bolts for the whole kit they didn't work out as cheap as they first appeared - Beware! ;)

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Narrow Caliper for Magic Pie; And andrews local cider
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
superglue....cool idea......never thought of that

Andrew, finally had that bottle of cider you brought me.....hmmm...lurvellly......its the strange hint of whisky from the maturing process that kinda sets it apart eh ?...good shturrf lol

Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 04:23:23 AM »
Howdy,
I'm finding that many of the calipers we normally use(Avid, Shimano etc) are too wide for the Pie.

Which make and model are folks finding useful with the Pie?

Thanks,
VeloV

My most recent build had a shimano front caliper and it did not work with the pie as is was not adjustable enough. I put on a GM caliper and no problem. I added one to the back as well, Also no problem.

Gary