Author Topic: Super G's New Project  (Read 24785 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Super G's New Project
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 06:03:40 AM »
Gary this is sounding tops!

Funny, you have a similar compulsive nature as me :D haha

Have you changed the handlebars yet? Not sure if you have any BMX handlebars lying around but it was one of the best changes I made to my ride.

Hey about your rear activator - did you need to modify anything to make it fit? I'm having a little trouble making a bracket to fit, my rotors are 203mm so that makes it a little more difficult

good work mate

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 06:30:43 AM »
If your going any distance at all, no such thing as a clean build, all got to be done for comfort lol
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 12:10:12 AM »
No Time for chat but here are some more pictures of my progress..

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 03:03:58 AM »
What a fantastic looking ride !!

Gary, you can't say that you aren't tempted to slap a front 16" MP on the bob trailer?

C'mon.... I think this build deserves it :D do it do it do it

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:45:11 AM »
It's looking very nice Gary, but I have a few suggestions for you:

• Slacken the pinch bolts securing the front forks and move them down until the end of the tube is flush with the top surface of the yoke assembly,  and then re-tighten them.
    This should raise your handlebars almost another 15-20mm making you riding position a bit more upright.
    (See attachment below.)

• Straighten up that front headlamp bracket so that it doesn't look like it's falling over when viewed from the front. ;)

• Putting some handlebar tape or rubber grips on those bar ends would make them much better for gripping.
    (should help to stop your hands slipping off when pulling wheelies!) ;D

Apart from that, it seems to be coming along nicely.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »
Gary this is sounding tops!

Funny, you have a similar compulsive nature as me :D haha

Very compulsive. I regularily change my mind constantly while working on something. Most times for the better but not always! :D

Have you changed the handlebars yet? Not sure if you have any BMX handlebars lying around but it was one of the best changes I made to my ride.

Hey about your rear activator - did you need to modify anything to make it fit? I'm having a little trouble making a bracket to fit, my rotors are 203mm so that makes it a little more difficult

good work mate

My rear activator was no trouble but I had t replace the front with a GM activator as it was not adjustable enough.

Gary

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:36 PM »
Very cooooool

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
i cannot believe you've got a coffee cup holder on your bike :D :D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 11:28:26 PM »
What a fantastic looking ride !!

Gary, you can't say that you aren't tempted to slap a front 16" MP on the bob trailer?

C'mon.... I think this build deserves it :D do it do it do it

I really don't need it, I am flying along as it is! :o

Besides I only have a rear 16 in stock and it doesn't fit. Good thing.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »

Holly Wow! What an avatar!! lol I know how he feels :) Thats how I feel somedays!

Some say "coffee" holder, others say "refreshment" holder.... ;)

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 01:27:34 AM »
All good sugestions Alan. Adusting the fork hieght location is definatly a good one, You are an amazingly observant guy as usual! The handelbar tape and straightening and adjusting alot of things is yet to come. When there is time it will be done. I did my first hard and fast road ride to work today on it. it was great, fast and fun. But still alot of tweaking to go. I have been looking at new handle bars as Monkey suggested but none of the local bike shops stock anything that will fit other then bars that look pretty much the same. Does anyone have any magic finds on the internet? my bars afre very thick in the middle areas so I need something specific I guess.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 01:28:54 AM »
Very cooooool

Thanks Gonzo, I'm lovin' it!

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 01:48:15 AM »
All good sugestions Alan. Adusting the fork hieght location is definatly a good one, You are an amazingly observant guy as usual! The handelbar tape and straightening and adjusting alot of things is yet to come. When there is time it will be done. I did my first hard and fast road ride to work today on it. it was great, fast and fun. But still alot of tweaking to go. I have been looking at new handle bars as Monkey suggested but none of the local bike shops stock anything that will fit other then bars that look pretty much the same. Does anyone have any magic finds on the internet? my bars afre very thick in the middle areas so I need something specific I guess.

Gary

I used a BMX headstem to fit the bars as the diameter differed.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Torque arms
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
So how did you know it had steel forks? Was it in the ad?

I went to the automotive department. Picked up one of the long rods with the magnet on the end for picking up droped screws, nails bolts, etc. Walked it over to the bicycle department and tried to stick it to the forks. Yay, it stuck! If the forks are aluminum it wont stick.

Gary, I've just been having a close look at your pictures and you might want to get your magnet out again as those dropouts on your forks might be cast alloy, as I think they look far too thick and chunky for steel (but you'll probably prove me wrong):

Although the fork stanchions (tubes) are obviously steel, I'm guessing those dropouts and sliders may not be.
When a hubmotor conversion is fitted, the dropouts are subjected to an incredible amount of spreading force from the flats on the axle as it tries to twist due to the amount of torque that has to be transmitted through it during acceleration and regenerative braking.

Alloy dropouts, although usually thick, are not very forgiving and a have a tendency to eventually crack due to fatigue (see attachment) and generally break off completely, rather than the slot just spreading open enough until the axle is able to spin.

A spinning axle will cause damage by ripping out the wires as it spins, but hopefully the axle will still remain located within in the widened dropouts due to the weight pushing down upon it.
However, a broken dropout may allow the axle (complete with front wheel) to fall out completely! :o

From past experience, riding a bike without a front wheel is almost guaranteed to end up with the rider meeting the road face first, :'( and this is why I would strongly recommend that a torque arm should always be fitted on a front hubmotor conversion.

Although steel dropouts are usually much stronger, they are not designed to withstand any torsional force from the axle whatsoever, and in extreme cases, metal fatigue can cause some steel dropouts to break at the joint where they are welded/brazed into the fork legs. ;)

Alan

P.S. I just noticed in the above picture that your front disc has been fitted in the wrong direction of rotation and is missing a fixing bolt too!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 09:02:04 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »

Knowing how Gary loves his gadgets, I'm amazed it's not an electrically heated one. :D

Alan