Author Topic: MP or MP2  (Read 4306 times)

Offline krelle52

• Confirmed
MP or MP2
« on: April 14, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
Hello

I have a little over a half year followed the thread about MP2. But I've become a little confused now . So I hoped that there was someone who could sit me straight.

If I buy an MP today, then I would be buying version 1...right? Version 2 has not been released yet and nobody knows when we can buying it, but best guess: at some time this year?

Do I understand it completely wrong or what???

Thanks in advance
Krelle52

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP or MP2
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:29:52 PM »
If I buy an MP today, then I would be buying version 1...right? Version 2 has not been released yet and nobody knows when we can buying it, but best guess: at some time this year?

Hi Krelle52 andto the forum.

The 20" cast Pies and all of the currently available spoked Pies (24", 26", 27", 700c and 28") are all basically the much talked about Version II, with the exception of the speed controller. The controller is still limited to an absolute maximum of 60V (14 cells @ 4.2V= 58.8V) but unlike the original controllers, it now has user adjustable parameters that can be changed via the usb interface cable and software.

The modified Pies used for the spoked wheels were specially redesigned so that the rim could be correctly centred, and the excessive spoke angle has also been dramatically reduced:

My suggestion for better centring of the cast rims was implemented into the design of the 20" cast wheel, but as far as I'm aware, the 16" and 18" cast wheels still suffer from the offset rim problem:

Hopefully this should clarify what you would receive if you purchase one of the Magic Pies that are currently being sold.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:21:26 PM by Bikemad »

Offline krelle52

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 07:08:41 PM »
Hi Alan

Thanks for the welcome and for your taking the time to answer my questions. I was somewhat confused and still is. As let me see if I can explain it, so it's understandable. English is not my first language.  :)

I understand that you can buy two versions. One with built-in controller and one without. As I understand you, Alan, the one with the built-in controller has yet to receive some upgrades, but only on the electronic part (The controller) while the hub motor and thus the one without built-in controller is upgraded to the so-called "version 2" and will thus not in the foreseeable future receive more changes?

Maybe it was a good time to explain a little about myself. I am a Danish engineering students in robotics. As you might be able to hear on my line of questions. I am interested in only the motor. since I'm going to build a "bike computer" to control the motor. I've searched golden engine website and this forum through without finding enough technical info. As I decided it was time to pick some knowledge from some of you pie-veterans.

So I hope you still have time to be available!

How many wires in the cable that comes up from the motor without a controller? I hope that there will be 3 from the windings and 5 from the Hall Sensor. Am I close?

I'm thinking on using two 36V/16Ah batteries. As I could come up with, a 16Ah battery delivers 30 amps which will give me 30A * 36V = 1080 w per motors. Is that correctly understood?

I plan to use two 20 "pie (I have a cargo bike with two front wheels). Is that overkill? I should be able to transport up to 150 kg + myself (somewhere between 65-75 kg), but I have no experience with hub motors. Beyond that, I can see that 16 ", 18" and 20 "Pies are cast wheels. Why? Is there a particular reason for this?

I think that was my questions for now.

/ Krelle52

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 04:20:39 AM »
Hi Krelle52,

All the pies on the market at this time are MP2, unless someome still has some old stock. There are some that call them MP1.1 because they didnt make it work above 60 volts as originally intended. But they are mistaken as the next version is definatly MP3. The MP3 version was supposed to out in sping, then mid summer, now who knows. There is little information and no release date planned. I don't even know what the MP3 will have to offer as no one will tell me. But I am sure the controller is the main focus.

Gary