Author Topic: New Magic Pie is going to land!  (Read 32107 times)

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: New Magic Pie is going to land!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »
you gotta get that rack 002, it would fit much nicer

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 11:07:04 PM »
For sure!!! I was hoping that this was my model.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
First impressions, One day after the landing of the pie
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 11:16:39 PM »
The photos are in the picasa album linked before

The package came protected with bubble wrap, which did not appear to tears or the like. The cardboard packaging has a low mark of an impact.

The lanterns were loose in the box, the headlight should be apparent in a box, I did not find a box to the taillight. The latter came cracked, but nothing to stop working.

The other components were very well protected, nothing came damaged in any way.
I expected a more professional package with Styrofoam corners where their cavities were placed on the smaller components, for example. Here is all the content inside the box after being removed.
http://picasaweb.google.com.br/lh/photo/23ghcbVlMgFu_BmJRgsIWg?authkey=Gv1sRgCODfiIXslNPCqwE&feat=directlink

Came:
• Magic Pie mounted on the wheel with nuts and washers.
• Accelerators type twist and thumb
• Key Cruise-control with button to turn off the PAS
• PAS
• Cables Pie
• Harness the battery (separate from the cable pie could have come with some type of standard connector.
• Battery LiMn 48v12Ah with the keys and bi-volt charger Manual 3A
• Rack and former board fixing battery
• Package with extra connectors

What was missing:
• Screws for fixing the plate in the rack
• Cable Lantern front
• Set of disc brakes
• Extra connector, red, to match the color pattern of Pie
• The keys of the CC were not with the connectors.

The engine has good looks and quality, all the screws come with washers. The rim is double-walled, with appearance of great quality and resistance. The spokes are very robust and stood firm. The rim came with the sealing tape inside!
I tested the fit of the wheel quickly before going to the workshop and it was not centered, as we have seen, there was no room for the internal washers. My bike mechanic solved it easily with just two precise strokes with a rubber hammer at the bike aft triangle. The rim still not completely centered, but was enough. I'll NEED THE DISK BRAKES, they are like 4x more expensive here. So, for now I'll put one on the motor and leave the v-brake in front.

The other components of the kit are of great finish, I feel that the plastics are of good quality and the keys of the CC did not come with the plug fitted. Lanterns looks fragile, came back and checked the lamp to 36V but it worked well with the 48v battery. The lamp appears to have eight points, but only four light indeed. One of the lights came without the cable, none of them had indication of polarity. The connectors are very easy to assemble, even without special tools. I used the red key on and off independently headlights front and rear.
The rack, which was not dented or bent, came apart and without the screws to secure the battery plate on my table and do not possess the holes for this type of rack. The backing plate and slide the locking bolt very superficially, the shoulder should be higher. There is a pin that I believe will serve to limit the travel of the battery, he did not touch him. I'll have to solve that too.There is a gap between the rail and the battery, it seems "loose" and together with the locking pin shy of the impression that bumps the battery will start from there.
The battery seems good quality, sturdy plastic and firm, pleasant to the touch. By shaking the pack to feel the loose in La, as it moved about 1cm forward and backward. I'll have to solve it.The battery came with 58v measured on a multimeter crap. It took about half an hour to recharge. It came with a sticker with important information for care. All I showed was very impressed with the appearance quality of each piece.
The charger has the appearance of great quality and also good finish. The internal fan makes some noise, nothing more, this sound is sense of security. The power supply came with an unknown pattern (Chinese?), But the connector on the device is the same type of sources of PC so it was easy to find a replacement. It can operate on 110v or 220v via a switch, has two LEDs, an indication of on / off and another charge state, orange for charging and green for charged. The fan turns off when finished loading. It also has a key on / off switch and a fuse.
No instructions came on the charger for common sense I connect the cable on the battery only when it is turned off and unplugged from the bike and then switch on the charger, also turning it off before unplugging the cable.
The installation of the mechanical part was extremely simple. It took about two and a half and much to adapt to the rack. I really believe that the 002 is much better in that sense. It was necessary to drill the frame and use a rivet with thread, the appearance is of an original piece.After all the control components, engine, speed, etc.. are also installed the mechanic said:
"The part of mechanics ready ta, end there the electric"
I connected the blue on blue, green on green, black on black, etc, turned on the battery and ready, was working.
In fact, before I had to solder the battery cable with the power of pie. Connectors Cruise-control, lights etc.. I did quickly and was very simple. But I have knowledge of electrical and a multimeter to test, switches, polarity, etc.. As well as to mount connectors, other customers may have problems with this. But it was really quite simple, worked first.
This time the cables were still all a bit loose and tied them down to the table with tape, anyway, just to test. We did the check list, put on the street e. ..
Very cool! The feeling of acceleration is great, comfortable. It makes a noise that I at least think pleasant. Cycling is pulled in a very big difference and I had no problems or torn in the process in highly inclined, do not know how, but weight 110kg.
Today, I finished organizing the cables with zip-ties and got a very clean appearance. I had to hold the battery with rubber bands, as there is a gap between the battery and card, I walk by or cobblestone streets waving the battery is noisy rattling back there. I'll have to solve it.
Only scored the maximum speed 44 km / h, I am without my watt meter yet. Nor marked time use, recharge etc.. I'm trying to use as one would use on a daily basis at the beginning.Whenever I get chance to put the battery check, did not even score half battery.
I got home from the workshop with her last night. Today I used to go back there, then went to the market, I came home, went to work. At home and at work let the battery to recharge, but the work was hard, I let a lot of friends try it.
I also discovered that the pie has a buzzer, I thought it had not. I had forgotten to connect the control's cable o the pie and when I turned it on did beeps, and solved the problem without difficulty.
We use a few bolts of poor quality, without washers, and this has caused some of them got lost, tomorrow I'll buy better quality bolts and locking nuts to prevent loosening with vibration.
As for disc brakes, just not a problem because I will be making a new request soon, but if it were the case would have been pretty bad. It's quite annoying not receive the product they bought.

Edit: ps.: I'm felling very lazy so I used the google translate tool :D please tell me if you find anything unusual.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 11:33:26 PM by Yacamim »

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:06 AM »
44km/h is pritty good but... what can you continiously ride, like I can do 38,6 on average without peddling?  ooh and what's your original language?

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 03:26:18 PM »
Looks like its going to be a realy nice ride..... Nice bike.

I see you are having the same problems with the wheel being off centre and also missed the nuts and bolts to connect the rack and the battery plate.

I had that same problem. Of course easy to find some nuts and bolts, but the off-centre wheel should be altered in the pie fabrication proces. Thats a real no no

For the rest everything seems ok and looks like good quality.

I only find the main +/- wires coming from the hub a bit thin.
. _   _   __  __  ___  ____  ____  _     _   ____  ____
 ( )_( ) (  ) (  )(  _ \ (  _ \ (  _  )(  \/\/ ) ( ___) (  _ \
  ) _ (   )(__)(  ) _<  )___/ )(_)(  )      (   )__)   )    /
 (_) (_)(_____)(__ / (__)  (____)(__/\__)(____)(_)\_)

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 02:20:20 AM »
For sure! I almost finished it today, with the disk brake only on the rear, organized cables, both lights working, valocimeter, etc. I only need to solve some minor details.

I'll bui some velcro, black, to put around the battery on the rack, the elastic does not hold it very well and it keeps making noise (betwin the battery and slide plate) when it shakes. This should solve the problem.

I opened the battery to check why the pack  feels loose inside and it was 'cause the hot glue used to fix it was not "glued" probably shipment caused. I'll think how to fix it... I do not know if I'll use more hot glue or some epoxy (modeling stuff, "durepoxy" here, I do not know the word)

I also need to buy the lock nuts for the battery plate, the one I'm using keep falling every day :D

When I find the Velcro I'll shot the "official" photo :D

This weekend I'll do and endurance test inside my institute (it is bigger then the Vatican, they say), it is a very plane place, good for a test.

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »
Cant wait to find out more (wish I had all my parts ready) Wont be long now though.....

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »

Today I used the pie for 22km.

It is just great! Very quick to go to work, groceries, etc. I got some drizzle three times back to home. The throttle stops to respond like 4 times after using the regenerative braking, and comes back to work after a few seconds. Anyone knows why this could happens, maybe the regen-burn-problem solution kicking?

I noted that the torque response after these 22km feels weaker. I think that this is normal, it was not very much difference.

I also needed to start from stop on a hill and the controller cut off. I can not say the % of the hill, but was % enough to my weight. I was happy for it, it is dumb safe, after you learn it limits and when helps with the pedal, etc, it is very nice to ride.

After each time I used the bike, I carefully touched the motor and battery and they was always safe to touch, just warm. The temperature here is something like 28ºC these days.

After this ride it takes 2:30 hours to recharge using the 3A recharger, so I could say that I used about 7,5 Ah from the battery (more or less)?

One spoke seems loose, I did not find exactly which, but I hear it "squerquing" when I use the RegB.

Tomorrow I'll try to use all the battery. I hope my turnigy watt meter comes soon!

I've changed the old bad screws and nuts for nice stainless steel ones, and changed the fixation of the rack, I'll take some photos, wait a second.

Ok, I put some explanation at the photos, beguin with this one and go to the next ones!

http://picasaweb.google.com.br/brunofporto/MagicPieTestKit#5429738107723204898

YAO: This one is nice to use!! http://picasaweb.google.com.br/brunofporto/MagicPieTestKit#5429738237121372002

I'll take more photos outside, tomorrow!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2010, 12:19:57 PM »
YAO: This one is nice to use!! http://picasaweb.google.com.br/brunofporto/MagicPieTestKit#5429738237121372002

I've attached your picture here as I'm not sure if Yao can access Picasa in China, but he can access attachments.

I've also had a really close look at this picture, but I still can't see the fixings for the rocket propulsion system!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:57:37 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »
ooh and what's your original language?

Kevin,
I would say his original language is Portuguese:

The shipment is already at Brazil!

Quote from: Wikipedia on January 23, 2010, 01:10:00 PM
Portuguese is the official language of Brazil, and is spoken by virtually all the population

I'm sure GM Brazil will correct me if I'm wrong.

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2010, 02:06:35 PM »
ooh, didn't know that I thought maybe he's dutch, but i'm clearly wrong.

nice bike btw

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 05:48:43 PM »
Looking good.

Had a phonecall with the bikeshop that is going to do my new spokejob. They are still ayting for the rimm. Should hopefully be rady next week though.

Wish we had 28 degrees C in Holland wright now. Nasty and cold weather around 0 degrees C at the moment.

Jerry.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2010, 02:52:14 AM »
Today I could not leave home  >:( I needed to cleam up the mess of my house and for the rest of the day rained a lot. I hope tomorrw I habe a better weather!

Thsnaks Bikemad for annexing the photos here! As now I have a slide rack maybe I could put the rocket there, then I let you do the first ride  ;)
But something like 50% of them exploded lol.

Jazzjerry
Had a phonecall with the bikeshop that is going to do my new spokejob. They are still ayting for the rimm. Should hopefully be rady next week though.

Wish we had 28 degrees C in Holland wright now. Nasty and cold weather around 0 degrees C at the moment.

I did not fixed the rim to be centered, my bike mechanics said that it was not a problem as I'm using a disk brake. It limited the size of the tire anyway, but I can not feel any difference in handling. Why are they taking so much time to do the rims for you?

About the weather, I prefer something between 18ºC to 24ºC as I feels really bad when it is more than 28º, a few days ago was 40ºC!! But for sure I would not like to have 0ºC :D The city I lived before here has 0º to 2º some times during the winter and was literally "eggs freezing"  to me :)

Hardcore, Bikemad is right! :D My "mother" language is portuguese!

By the way, I discovered one of the magic tricks of the pie on one of the Hyena photos:

On this photo you can see that there is some internal ribs at the pie cover plate, these ribs act as a compressor, "pumping" the air to the outer diameter of the motor, with flow back passing through the stator and cooling it and the controller, then goes back to the cover plate faces to cool down again! It is a very simple and smart solution, that evens increase the strength of the motor. You see better with this drawing, annexed.

It is a really nice product, works well and smoothly, easy to assemble and the so discussed "jet fan" pattern ends that it looks really nice on the bike! The only problem with the design is the well centering limitation, GM should found a solution for this!! Did not bother me but for the big mass of clients it should raise some problems. And also, for sure, a better professional looking package! As I said, it cames very well protected, but did not nooks like something of brand.

I'll put this on the MP feedback post.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:18:19 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2010, 06:04:11 PM »
me:
Why are they taking so much time to do the rims for you?

L... They are still ayting for the rimm. ...

Ok! I found the answer, lol!

BTW, rained all day today again, bad day!

Offline Jazzjerry

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Carpe Noctum
    • Beeldhout
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2010, 06:28:14 PM »
I asked them if they could get a special brand of rim that is especially made for e-bikes.

The Brand is RIGIDA http://www.rigida.com/en/products/hybride-city/rims-5

The 1st 3 at the top of the page in the ANDREA series are made for e-bike. They have their spoke holes suited for the shorter spokes going to a hub motor. Kinkfree and a tougher rim to cope with the stresses caused by electric propultion.

They had to be ordered from somewhere. Probably the factory. So I am waiting for them to arrive.