Author Topic: New Magic Pie is going to land!  (Read 32108 times)

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
New Magic Pie is going to land!
« on: December 28, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »
Hello!

I did the payment using paypal. Just waiting for the first of many ;). As soon as I receive it I'll post a review. I will try to include every step, even unboxing. Now I need to order the watt meter to have more details about the performance.

I'm a Aerospace Engineer, so I'll try to go deep on the analysis :D

Happy new year magic people!

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: New Magic Pie is going to land!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 05:51:49 AM »
Happy magic new year to you too, GM Brazil!  Looking forward to your review.

My advice:

You may need to secure -or make-- a 3.7mm spoke wrench to 'tune' your wheel.  Mine just showed up ~3/8" off-center :P

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:26:36 PM »
Yes... I hope they send it already correctly centered. But I was checking my brother's in law bike and the bike itself is "off center"... I'm on vacation and I could not check my own. GM could use the 16" Pie motor and use that to bikes, adding the holes for the spokes. This could make it easier to correct the centering as it is wider that the original pie.

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 01:52:26 AM »
Dear Harvey,

The magic Pie MUST be off centered in order for you to enjoy both the sprocket and disc brake in a 135mm width.

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 04:21:23 AM »
Happy magic new year to you too, GM Brazil!  Looking forward to your review.

My advice:

You may need to secure -or make-- a 3.7mm spoke wrench to 'tune' your wheel.  Mine just showed up ~3/8" off-center :P

This is less than 1cm in metric.  Which can bring the tire close to the rear forks. Spreading a steel frame by 3/16" each side and some washers to equal 3/8" on the inside to the close side of the drop outs should centre the wheel fine.

Ive read that some Ebikers have spread steel frame drop outs by a much larger degree than 3/8".  Even though a steel frame can be a little heavier its reported to be a much smoother ride.

Aluminium may be able to be spread a little but its not advised.

You could probably do this on a steel frame with a piece of 4"X2" wood lever between the motor case and rear forks  to spread the dropout enough to slip the washers in between the close side and its drop out.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 04:24:54 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:48:24 PM »
I put this measures on a GM picture for another post. As you can check we only need to move the rim 6,25mm to both sides be equal.

28,5+6,25=41-6,25

On the review of the pie on Koga-Miyiata (http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=1527.0) he was able to move the rim something like 5mm, and 1,25 mm off center is ok to me! In his case the off center was because of the 9 speed sprocket, maybe on my bike it appears centered...

Thanks for the advices!

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 07:09:20 AM »
You may need to secure -or make-- a 3.7mm spoke wrench to 'tune' your wheel.  Mine just showed up ~3/8" off-center :P

Sorry for any confusion ..I needed to modify a spoke wrench to a 3.7mm opening in order to 'dish' my MP wheel because the rim is (was) ~3/8" off-center.  Managed to get it within ~1/8" before nipples began stripping. 

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 07:29:41 AM »

Dear Harvey,

The magic Pie MUST be off centered in order for you to enjoy both the sprocket and disc brake in a 135mm width.

Thanks Yau,

The spacing on the hub is perfect - just what I expected.  However, when the wheel is placed in a truing stand, I found that the rim was ~3/8" (9.5mm) off-center.  Please have your QC team look into this, the tire SHOULD contact the road at the virtual center of the frame's dropouts.

Offline Mabman

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 05:17:02 AM »
If you are stripping out the nipples then I would suspect that the nipples are topping out on the spoke threading.

Yau, Is the factory using 2mm shorter spokes on the drive side? This helps facilitate dish on rear wheels which keeps the rim centered while the hub is offset.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 05:23:54 AM »
It is coming!

"07 Jan 2010    06:26:45    Pudong International Airport    Shipment Received At Transit Point. "

Edit, new status:

"07 Jan 2010    19:41:44    Pudong International Airport    Shipment In Transit."

Edit, new status:

"09 Jan 2010    18:15:35    Liege Euro Hub    Shipment In Transit. "
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:05:05 PM by Yacamim »

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »
The shipment is already at Brazil! The MP may come today or tomorrow! Or take more, you never know!

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »
The pie has landed!

I'll post more details later. For now:

Everything looks of a very good quality, just small problems:

The rear light have a crack.
The disk brakes and activators, ordered, they did not come.
And the rim is not correctly centered.

But is super!! I'll bring the rim and bike to change some components on the bike shop and post the photos later!

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:51:44 PM »
i will be waiting for the pics, what bike are you going to use?

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 01:41:13 AM »
If you ordered something and it did not come, then it is a serious problem. please e-mail zhourenli@goldenmotor.com his name is TOM and he'll find out wad went wrong.

Offline GM Brazil

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »
Hello Yao!

Yes, in fact a pair of complete disk brake sets (disk and actuator) did not came, the package was intact (I'll talk about the package later on the review) and the "bubble plastic" does not had any opening, so was not an transportation problem, just was not in the package.

Anyway, I've talked to Echo, and there is no problem with this, you can send me it later on the wholesale order to come. For now I'm very happy with the quality, the problems I find, I'll detail tomorrow on the review. Just use it for something like 5km, without all the functions enabled.

This is the photo album for this test kit: http://picasaweb.google.com.br/brunofporto/MagicPieTestKit?authkey=Gv1sRgCODfiIXslNPCqwE&feat=directlink

YAO, please, do not use this photos yet, wait me to complete the small visual details, and then I'll send you personally a good photo without the masking tape holding the wires :D This tape is temporary just to test the positioning, etc.

ps.: People, tomorrow (now is almost 5am and I need to sleep :'( ) I'll post the first part of the review: First impressions.
Later I'll do more tests, open the battery pack, test it with the watt meter, etc etc.

For now I can just say that:
Quality - Very good first impression, everything looks good. I have a good feeling about bad plastics and I felt that all the components are of very good quality material.
Installation - After the hardware, the electric part takes 3 minutes, REALLY. PLUG &PLAY, really nice!
Package - I was waiting for something more clean and professional, but was very well protect and I asked to put even the battery on the same box.
Manual - Very good quality, but lack important details and have wrong information about features (like anti-theft systems we all know from the other post)
Fun - A LOT OF FUN and it was for just 5km...

More to come. Tomorrow, sorry!!!