Author Topic: parts left over  (Read 7287 times)

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
parts left over
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:14:15 PM »
"Seatpost battery rack"   after assembly, or what I had to assume was assembly there was the 2 longest bolts, 2 flat bars with a hole in one end and a cut out slot almost the length of the bar, 2 nuts, 4 washers, left over. Can someone tell me what these bars are for and where they go. Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: parts left over
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
Hi Todd,

From your description it sounds like they will be the support struts for the battery rack which are supposed to be fitted to the seat clamp bolt at one end and to the rack assembly on the other.

Check out the pictures on the installation guide and hopefully it will all make sense.

Alan

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 12:06:01 AM »
Thanks Alan

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 12:47:27 AM »
Cannot open that pfd.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Pictures of rack mounting
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 01:02:08 AM »
I have attached the top section from the document as this shows the rack mounting.

Alan

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 01:57:25 AM »
I had just found that seat post pic in old forum and returned to see the whole set. Thanks a million.  Would you have pics of hardware arrangement on axle and hub for front MP4?  Most bikes(axle), have a washer with a tab that fits in a slot locking it. My bike does not have this, is this an issue?  Thanks again, I can go back to work.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 11:25:11 AM »
Would you have pics of hardware arrangement on axle and hub for front MP4?  Most bikes(axle), have a washer with a tab that fits in a slot locking it. My bike does not have this, is this an issue?

This is the typical retaining washer that is soley designed to prevent the wheel from falling out of the dropouts if the axle nuts work loose:

The tabbed torque washers that comes with the kit is different to the above retaining washer and these are supposed to locate inside the dropout slots to help resist the torsional load from the axle, but mine extended beyond the slot even after I had filed the bottom of the slot to allow the axle to fit in properly.
As it therefore had nothing to locate against, I ended up hammering the tab back on itself so it would fit nicely inside the slot as you can see here:

I also filed a couple of bevels on the inner face of the outer washers so that they would locate nicely into the "lawyer's lips" on the end of the dropouts.

On my front forks I also had to add two spacer washers on the right hand side to prevent the controller from touching against the blade of the fork.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:34:03 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 01:56:30 PM »
Well Alan, you're turning out to be a ton of help. I'm so glad you're around. I might be ok now, I'm sure I can find the electrical rules (proper order of connecting, disconnecting, charging) in the forum. Again...thanks Alan.

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 10:44:10 PM »
 Holy smokes...this thing flies !   Smart pie 4 w\ 48v 10 ahr on a new CCM Apex Mt bike. Aptly renamed Roadrocket.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Mission accomplished
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 10:41:30 AM »
Congratulations Todd, I'm guessing that you have just experienced the "EV grin" for the first time.

Even though your build hasn't been as straightforward as you were expecting, I'm sure you'll agree that the end result more than makes up for all the time and effort that have gone into it.

Anyway, you haven't quite finished yet as there is still one more thing you need to do:

Then we can all see some pictures of the completed bike?

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:33:07 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Todd75

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 01:41:46 PM »
I would love to.....but my computer skills are as bad (or worse) than my mechanical skills, so it may take a while. I will get it done though, the guy who gave me a great deal on the bike wants pics too. Apex $599- used once for cancer ride my cost $220. It looks tidy, strong and shiny. As far as the Smart pie 4 goes, it has more than sufficient speed. I find myself "toning it down" a lot. So....that's perfect.       Thanks