Author Topic: MP wiring diagrams  (Read 30326 times)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Dismantling the hub
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 02:09:16 AM »
Did you manage to check any of the voltage readings as per my previous post, and if so, were any of them correct?

Before you dismantle the hub any further, it might be worth checking the continuity of the wires between the harness and the controller connections inside the hub. If everything checks out OK, there should be no need to dismantle the hub any further. ;)

If you find that just one wire that is broken (no continuity) you could use the yellow wire instead, although by doing so, you would no longer be able to use the USB programming lead or reverse function (depending on what it was connected to), but it might save you a lot of time and hassle.

Removing the cover
Assuming you've already removed the securing bolts on the disc side cover, it may be possible to knock the cover off using a suitable piece of wooden dowel (or 1" square timber etc.) as a drift and then use a hammer to gently tap the wooden drift all around the inside of the cover (from the open side of the hub) until the joint between the cover and the hub starts to open up.

If this does not work, you may need to try a different approach, refit the freewheel side cover that you have already removed and secure it with three bolts just to ensure the axle is correctly centred,  and then tap the axle on the freewheel side using a large wooden or rubber mallet (a hammer and a block of wood could be used instead).
All you are trying to do is simply separate the joint between the cover and the hub assembly, you are not trying to knock the complete stator assembly right out of the hub!

Once this joint separates, you should hopefully be able to gently pull and wiggle the cover off the bearing and axle assembly. If it's too tight to come off easily, heating the cover with a hair dryer may help it expand enough to come away from the bearing.

You should now be able to remove the freewheel side cover (as you did before) leaving the stator assembly in the middle of the hub, it won't drop out because it will be held firmly in place by the powerful magnets.

Good Luck

Alan

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:07:01 PM by Bikemad »

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
Re: MP wiring diagrams
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 07:02:08 AM »
Hi Alan, I tried to get readings as you suggested but couldnt get my multimeter to work. I have noted a small cut in the outer wire where it goes into the axle... this is the only possibility left ???. You mention using the yellow wire what do I connect this unused wire to ???
Thanks again.
P.S. Some times after the motor has cut out andn the throttle is in the off position the motor will try to surge forward as if there is a trickle voltage getting to it.... spooky

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »
You mention using the yellow wire what do I connect this unused wire to ???

P.S. Some times after the motor has cut out andn the throttle is in the off position the motor will try to surge forward as if there is a trickle voltage getting to it.... spooky

The yellow wire would need to be connected in place of whichever wire was found to be damaged, but this is not much use if more than one wire is faulty. For example, if just the white wire was faulty (shorted to the axle or open circuit etc.), you would disconnect it at both ends and simply connect the yellow wire in its place.

A poor connection on the black throttle ground wire could cause the motor to operate with the throttle released, but only if the +5v red wire and the throttle signal wire both had good continuity. 
If you could get your multimeter working, it would make checking the wiring so much easier. ;)

Alan

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 09:17:36 PM »
Hi Alan, sorry for not updating earlier. Solved the issue of the motor cutting out by removing the black rectangular moulded connection where all the wires converge before going to the hub (See Pic) I tried to open up the connection but Its impossible. Anyhow I've soldered all the wires together and no issues for several weeks.  ;D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 09:27:52 PM »
Anyhow I've soldered all the wires together and no issues for several weeks.  ;D

I'm very pleased to hear you've got it sorted and that it's all working properly now.

Alan

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:39 PM »
those connectors aren't to be trusted, i've hard wired(solderd) them also.

Just to show interest :D

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
Cheers hardcore, glad to know I'm not on my own when it comes to bad luck with my GM Kit.  ;)

Offline csm

• Confirmed
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 12:52:43 AM »
This is one of those topics that reminds how great it would be if there was a detailed video tutorial that took people step by step installing thier Magic pie electric assist system to their bike.. And it would be awesome to have so good video troubleshooting tutorials to help folks figure out what is wrong with thier bike when it does not work, with tips and tricks to get it back up and running, with explanations on why those tips and tricks solve the problem sometimes..