Author Topic: MP wiring diagrams  (Read 30537 times)

Offline Mellibike

MP wiring diagrams
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
Hi there

I have just purchased a MP motor and it came with not plug and play connectors, not any manual at all, some wires were even not pinned.

Can you please send a full detailed wiring diagram of where to connect not the obvious but the not pinned wires or the reverse connector

Regards

Mellimovil

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP wiring diagrams
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 03:20:00 AM »
G'day mate

If you do a search on the forum for 'Magic Pie Wiring' you will find a ton of stuff.
Only saying this as someone will be doing this anyway to provide you with the info.

It's good to find it yourself in case you need to find something else ;)

Not trying to offend you but you can understand how many billion times this has probably been requested

Cheers pal

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 12:29:15 PM »

Here's a diagram showing the original Magic Pie connections:

Click image to view full size

The yellow wire (shown as "Not Used") was not connected to the controllers on the early Magic Pies, but subsequent Pies had the yellow wire connected for reverse, and the later Pies now use the yellow wire for changing the parameters of the controller in conjunction with the USB interface cable and software.

Check out this post for the LED lights wiring diagram.

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
You just couldn't help yourself now could you Alan

;D

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 12:03:40 PM »
Does anyone have a wiring diagram from the oposite side of the plug, my connections are so slack I keep getting three beeps and the throttle cuts out so want to replace this conector with something better. The wires on the bike side of the connector are different colours !!!??? ???

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP wiring
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 01:15:30 PM »

HeadsNtails, if your wires the same colour as these:

then hopefully I can work out what goes where on the socket side of the connector.

If you can list the colours of your eight wires, along the wire colours in the above picture from left to right it would make it much easier for me (colour-blindness can be a real inconvenience at times).

Alan

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »
Thanks so much for the reply, I've had to put everything back together as need it for work. Looking at your picture it seems that this is from the wheel side of things, my issues are that once it has passed to the connector the colours change, I have two brown wires ?? etc I will take a picture of the loom and post when I can. Thanks again for your support  :)

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:10:34 PM »
Heres a picture from my Pie wiring:
Green
White
Purple
Yellow
Black
Red
Blue
Brown
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:15:07 PM by headsNtails »

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:12:31 PM »
Heres a picture from my wiring loom to the bike controls
Green
Orange
Red
Blue
Purple
Brown
Khaki
Black
How do I follow these colours to match up with the other loom ?????
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:19:33 PM by headsNtails »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 03:30:42 AM »

Sorry for the delayed response, but I've been busy changing radiator valves today before rushing off to work, and I don't finish work until midnight.

I've tried to identify the wires in your photos, and assuming your Magic Pie is wired the same inside as the one shown in the earlier post, the wires should match up as per the modified photo attached below.

I hope you are able to follow this OK, because I've struggled to identify the colours, and the rest of the family are all asleep, so I have nobody to help me identify the colours!
The lettered connections should all be correct, even if I've misinterpreted the correct wire colours in between them. ;)

You must take extra care with the battery + wire coming from the Magic Pie, as this could cause problems if it is connected to the wrong wire on the harness.

I hope you can understand where all of the connections go to because I have tried to make it as simple as I can. But if you are still unsure about any of the connections, let me know. If you post specific details of your problem, I might be able to guide you in the right direction.

Alan

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 06:12:52 PM »
Thanks for all the trouble you went showing me what to do. Sorry I didn't 'name' the colours, I genuinely thought you were joking about being colour blind. Everything went well...cut off the connector and got it all soldered together, only buring my finger once with the soldering iron, great result....or so I thought. Worked no problems over the weekend but on my way to work this morning I got the three beeps and the motor juddered to a halt. Could the problem be the thumb control and if so where would I get a replacement ??

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 09:54:15 PM »
Thanks for all the trouble you went showing me what to do. Sorry I didn't 'name' the colours, I genuinely thought you were joking about being colour blind. Everything went well...cut off the connector and got it all soldered together, only buring my finger once with the soldering iron, great result....or so I thought. Worked no problems over the weekend but on my way to work this morning I got the three beeps and the motor juddered to a halt. Could the problem be the thumb control and if so where would I get a replacement ??

Send an Email to tom@goldenmotor.com, keep it short and to the point.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP Throttle fault
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 02:46:03 AM »
Thanks for all the trouble you went showing me what to do. Sorry I didn't 'name' the colours, I genuinely thought you were joking about being colour blind.

I got the three beeps and the motor juddered to a halt.Could the problem be the thumb control and if so where would I get a replacement ??

HeadsNtails, I only wish I was joking, I have three brothers, and two of them are also red-green colourblind, but I get confused with all sorts of colours. Traffic lights especially can be a real pain when you can't tell the difference between red and amber. ;)

Anyway, three beeps is usually a throttle fault, and if I remember correctly it only occurs when the throttle signal voltage at the controller falls below 0.6V.

It could be one of the throttle wires, a poor connection, or the throttle control itself.

I doubt it will be the Black ground wire, because when this fails, it wouldn't cause the three beeps.

If there is a break somewhere in either the Red wire (+5V supply to throttle, cruise and pedelec) or the White (throttle signal wire), this would cause the throttle output to drop well below 0.6V causing the three beeps and no throttle response.

I would first check to see if you have at least 4.5V between the red throttle wire, and the Black (throttle ground wire) if this is correct then check the voltage between the White (throttle signal wire) and the Black (throttle ground wire). If this is around 0.8V, try operating the throttle control to see if it changes (preferably with the driven wheel raised off the ground just in case the motor starts). If the voltage does not increase, I would say the throttle control, or the White signal wire itself, is faulty. If it increases to at least 3.5V when the throttle is on full, the throttle control should be working correctly, and the fault will be between the connection being tested and the controller itself. Check the wires carefully where they enter the axle for any signs of possible damage.

If you don't have at least 4.5V between the red throttle wire, and the Black (throttle ground wire), I would suspect either a break (or short circuit to ground) in the red wire going into the controller. Check the wires carefully where they enter the axle for any signs of possible damage.

I should also point out that on some throttle controls, the throttle signal wire may not necessarily be White. ???

I look forward to hearing the results of these checks.

Alan

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 06:28:16 AM »
Cheers Alan, I'll have a look at this at the weekend. For now I've changed my thumb control to the twist grip, I hope this will last out for the week.  :)

Offline headsNtails

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »
No luck with the twist throttle, checked wires for breaks..all ok. solderd all connections still get three beeps. the only thing left is to re-wire straight from the hub. Ive taken the hub cover off from the cassette side but can't see how to release the axle from the opposite side. Any ideas ??