Author Topic: Magic Pie 4 won't react to thumb throttle  (Read 11830 times)

Offline Speedsterharry

• Confirmed
Re: Magic Pie 4 won't react to thumb throttle
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »
OKay, some news from me:

I managed to open the flask with a set of pure carbide router bits. Not pretty but it works. (pic #1)

The proper tools to remove a stuck screw was found several weeks after (pic #2). I wish I had heard about these before...

And last but not least, I built a small hall effect sensor tester (pic #3) and noticed that the behaviour of my replacement halls was not the one expected: Only detects when magnet is nearby (so not latched) and only sensitive  to one face of the magnet.
After inspecting my ebay bills, I saw I bought SS441 sensors which are not exactly the same beast as the SS41 (unipolar vs bipolar and not latched vs latched). The correct replacement parts are now ordered....

Meanwhile, I bought some nine continent Direct Drive wheel (RH205), along with some 12 Fet controller from Lyen and accessories. I'd really like to install them soon but that would mean dropping the Golden Motor system altogether, which is not something I'd like to do right now since I HATE wastage. I hope my next attempts will yield success.

Offline Speedsterharry

• Confirmed
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
I made no progress on my problem due to lack of time.
Today, I noticed the controller (MP5) flashes red 5 times continuously as soon as the battery is activated with the key lock.

Does anyone know what this means and what I can do about it ?

When I push the throttle, there's still the low hum but no wheel spinning (a bit like a wrong phase wires/hall sensors combination)

However, I used the pinout indicated on Goldenmotor.ca

Any suggestion welcome :(
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 01:35:53 PM by Speedsterharry »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2017, 11:43:11 PM »
Five flashes usually indicates a problem with the Hall sensors (or the Hall sensor connector is disconnected).

If the connector is connected properly, you will need to check the +5V supply to the hall sensors and the output signal voltage from each of the three Hall sensors using a voltmeter.

Take a look at this post and this video for more details on testing the operation of the hall sensors.

Alan

Offline Speedsterharry

• Confirmed
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »
Small update:

I changed a failed hall sensor this morning. Now all three hall sensors are tested OK.

However, the controller insists on flashing 5 times in a row. I don't know what to do. There's a small chance I damaged the controller during my tests.

I think I will order an external controller (not Golden Motor), thread the halls and phase wires to the outside of the wheel and see how it goes. If the wheel still wouldn't rotate, I'll get rid of it and install some no-nonsense motor like a RH205. AND this time I know it will work !

Thanks for all the help to those who participated in this thread.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2017, 11:43:46 AM »
Changed a failed hall sensor this morning. Now all three hall sensors are tested OK.

However, the controller insists on flashing 5 times in a row. I don't know what to do. There's a small chance I damaged the controller during my tests.

Was the stator still removed from the motor ring (the ring of magnets inside the hub) when you tested it?
If so, this could also cause the five flashes from the controller LED due to the Hall sensor output signal voltages all being the same, which should never occur when the stator is surrounded by the motor ring.

Alan

Offline Speedsterharry

• Confirmed
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Oh My God, Alan, you are an incredible GENIUS !!! How can you possibly give such a good advice and have such a strong intuition ??? I don't have time to make further tests right now, maybe tomorrow afternoon. It's sad because I just ordered a NC RH205, controller, etc yesterday. I guess I will make good use of it at one point in time.
There's a slim chance I can salvage my MP4 motor and MP5 controller after all ...

Many many thanks, it's so nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I hope I can pull this off thanks to your help  :) :)

Offline Speedsterharry

• Confirmed
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 07:15:11 AM »
OK I guess I was too optimistic 2 days ago.
When the stator is in the ring of magnets, the controller still sends the series of 5 flashes.
Also, I cannot possibly rotate by hand the stator inside the rotor (completely stuck, whether the controller is connected to the stator or not). I watched a vid explaining about how BLDC work and I don't think this is normal....

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:46 PM »
Also, I cannot possibly rotate by hand the stator inside the rotor (completely stuck, whether the controller is connected to the stator or not).

If the stator is properly centred in the motor ring (and both side covers are fitted correctly) you should be able to rotate the axle (and stator assembly) using a 10mm open ended spanner without too much difficulty, but don't expect to be able to turn the axle just by twisting it with your finger and thumb.

If the covers are not seated properly, it may be possible for the stator to touch against the magnets, making it very stiff to turn.
Also, if any metal particles have stuck themselves to the magnets while the stator was removed, they could easily wedge themselves into the small gap between the stator and the magnets when the stator is refitted, even with the stator correctly centred inside the magnets.  ;)

If the axle is very tight to turn with a 10mm spanner, or makes a horrible grinding sound, it is likely to be caused by some form of physical resistance rather than the normal magnetic drag, and you will have to remove the stator and look carefully to locate the cause.

Unfortunately, if you are still experiencing the continual 5 flash fault code on the controller LED with the hall sensor plug fitted correctly, the controller could be damaged. And if the controller has failed, the motor is not likely to run, even if the axle does turn freely with the spanner.  ::)

Alan

Offline Speedsterharry

• Confirmed
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
OK Alan. After following your advice, I could rotate the wheel with little resistance, by making several turns with a spanner and refitting the flasks. Probably the little metal particles that created friction, and the fact the stator was not properly centered without the flasks, like you suggested. This part is now sorted.

Alas, things have not changed at all with the controller. Still the 5 flashes. I also randomly interverted phase wires to see if anything happened. In some configurations, the wheel stay stuck, in others, the wheel makes very little "hops" and then stays still. In any case, the red LEDs still flash 5 times.
Im going to try an external sinewave controller with the wheel and see how it goes. Probably get rid of the GM MP5 controller, I have no clue if it still has value :( (my god, more than 100 EUR thrown out the window)