Author Topic: 10ah vs 15ah  (Read 7367 times)

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
10ah vs 15ah
« on: March 28, 2013, 01:57:35 PM »
theoretically a 15ah battery you should get 50 percent more distance with a battery. I was wondering if I am correct also will their be any power difference between a 48v 10ah battery and a 48v 15ah battery
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 07:16:35 PM by atcspaul »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 10Ah vs 15Ah
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:39:36 AM »

As you've already said, the extra capacity should extend your range by approximately 50%.

As far as the power difference is concerned, it will ultimately depend upon the settings of your controller and/or the rating of the battery's cells and BMS.

If both BMS units have a higher current rating than the current limit on your motor's controller, it should not make a great deal of difference, except the higher capacity cells are likely to have less voltage sag under the same load (assuming they have the same quality and type of cells), which will effectively produce slightly more power at the same maximum Amps limit.

However, if the limiting factor of your existing set-up is the BMS, and the 15Ah battery has a higher current BMS, you may find that the power will increase quite noticeably.

There is only one way to find out for sure, so let us know the results when you've tested and compared the two batteries on the same bike. ;)

Alan

Offline atcspaul

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • motor bicycling
Re: 10ah vs 15ah
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »
thank you Bikemad. I will be resetting the parameters to the new battery's capacity's in the morning and going to give it run thru the mountains and will let you all know the difference I notice