Author Topic: Mixed-storage storage?  (Read 7024 times)

Offline OffGrid

Mixed-storage storage?
« on: September 03, 2007, 05:13:20 PM »
Someone mentioned the idea of using Capacitors to smooth out the regeneration/charge/use cycle for riding up/down hills... it doesn't seem to answer the mail in my situation though since the amount of energy I want to store (and trickle into the batteries over time?) is a LOT...

Has anyone gone into the efficiencies of a hybrid system of batteries/capacitors?  Capacitors are virtually instant-charge, LI, NiCad are pretty slow-charge, and Lead-Acid fairly fast-charge?   The controller logic for all this might be complex, but it does seem feasible (with a complex enough controller) to dump power into a capacitor bank which trickles it into the other systems as fast as they can take it efficiently and then takes it back out from the  most "appropriate" system based on how efficient each one is under different charge/discharge conditions?

I realize this is an open-ended question...   

I was just wondering.

- OffGrid

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Mixed-storage storage?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 05:21:56 PM »
Check out the Lightning built in the UK. It and the Mini both use Ultra capacitors in the system to permit high wattage charging and discharging. (Are you rich BTW? You'll new a few dollars to spare. ;D )