Author Topic: Standard Shimano/SRAM 9 Speed Cassete to MagicPie Mod  (Read 11816 times)

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
Standard Shimano/SRAM 9 Speed Cassete to MagicPie Mod
« on: August 28, 2011, 05:12:46 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm compleletly new to this forum.
Recently I've bougth a Magic Pie and almost all the spares needed to put it working. I've bougth special spokes, assembled the wheel in a Mavic X517 rim and put it running. Everything went fine till now.
As the bike I'm converting has 9 Speed shifters and derailleur I want to let it as is no matter the effort I need to apply making some mods.
So, for that I'm developing a mecanism to adapt standard 9 speed Cassetes to Rear Magic Pie letting the read axis available length to 135mm (i.e., not increasing the dimension).
To finalize it I must be sure that it's possible or not to remove some material from the freewheel side by machining it using a lathe(please take a look into the following pictures).
I need some help from the GoldenMotor team or people that ried to do that before.

Thanks!

Rui Santos

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Standard Shimano/SRAM 9 Speed Cassete to MagicPie Mod
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 12:29:16 AM »
Hi Rui andto the forum.

I would strongly suggest that you don't waste any more time trying to modify the Magic Pie to take a nine speed cassette, because you are very unlikely to use the majority of those gears when you start using the power from the Pie.
I live in a very hilly area and tend to use my highest gear virtually all of the time, apart from when I use a low gear just to pull away from a standstill on very steep hills, and then quickly change straight through to my highest gear. When you start riding with the power from the Pie, you'll find that the number of gears is much less important than when you were using pedal power alone.

If you're a keen cyclist and still intend to do a lot of hard pedalling without motor assistance, you will soon discover that the Magic Pie is hard work to ride with without using the throttle. ;)

However, if you are really determined to use all nine gears, then I would suggest that the DNP Epoch 9 Speed 11-32 tooth freewheel might be the easiest option:

Here's a Magic Pie that Erik fitted with a nine speed freewheel:

Check out this post for more details.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:11:46 PM by Bikemad »

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 02:58:29 PM »
Hi Bikemad,

I already have one freewheel of 9 speed by SunRace but there's the need for a lot of washers. In order to make it really work directly I need to force the frame to open.
I'm studying new ways to get it and when done I'll show you the results in this post.
I'm planning a new thing that will be useful for Magic Pie future improvements ( support 9 speed freewheels). It's not a question of getting more or less usability, is more of comply with the nowadays mountain bike regular frames and drivetrains.
Also I need to take some photos on my Magic Pie because there's a strange washer between the Internal roller bearing (drive side). It's "waved". Is it normal?

Thanks for the support,

Rui Santos

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 03:17:00 PM »
That would be a spring.

You do not want to bind the face of the rotating parts,
but you don't wasn't them rattling and making noise
either.

That spacer insures separation without allowing noise.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:22:54 PM by e-lmer »

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
"Et voila", 9 speed with a mod on drive side plate (CNC machined with special care of remaining material to assure that the freewheel will not supported in a weak zone) :

[img width= height= alt=detail]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/3407/imag0008yg.jpg[/img]

[img width= height= alt=full]http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8890/imag0009f.jpg[/img]

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:15:52 PM by dofbikes »

Offline Mago77

• Confirmed
10 speed ?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:41 PM »
Hello there,
I have seen this: DNP Epoch Freewheel 10sp 11- 34 Nickel Plated, there http://www.bikeman.com/FW4629.html  I believe DNP makes only threaded freewheel,  would that fit on a Magic Pie ?

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 03:40:05 PM »
It will fit Magic Pie but it won't fit standard rear frame clearance on a mtb (135mm).
I've done a mod to fit the shown 9 speed cassete (threaded). I've used a CNC lathe to remove some material.
It worked but it's not something for someone who doesn't have the chance to specify exactly what are the mods to do.

Rui Santos