Author Topic: Re: What size motor and battery do you recommend?  (Read 10264 times)

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: What size motor and battery do you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 06:12:10 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but what in the world is a "half hand throttle" ?  And while you smart guys are thinking of it, do you know if the GM throttles are resistive devices or hall devices?

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Half throttle
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:19 AM »

Dennis, a half hand throttle is where the innermost half of the twist grip is free to turn to activate the throttle, but the outer portion is securely fixed to the handlebar in exactly the same way as a standard handlebar grip:

The concept is similar to the commonly used grip-shift gear change mechanism:

The GM throttles contain a Hall sensor, but the controllers will also work with a 10k variable resistor type throttle.

I tried this on my original Pie by using a 10K trimmer plugged directly into the throttle connector:

Alan

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: What size motor and battery do you recommend?
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 03:33:52 AM »
Thanks  once again Alan,

You seem to know quite a bit of very technical information.  May I ask what you do when you are not playing with electric bikes?

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: What else do I do?
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 04:42:15 AM »
May I ask what you do when you are not playing with electric bikes?

When I'm not at work, I do lots of things at home including; cutting the grass, jet-washing, eating, drinking, sleeping, walking the dog, DIY, fixing things that the kids (and wife) manage to break, mending computers, tinkering with cars and motorbikes, and "working" on my computer. ::)

It's hard enough just thinking about all the jobs I have lined up waiting to be done, let alone actually doing them.

Alan