Author Topic: Intermittent throttle problem  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Intermittent throttle problem
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:22:39 PM »
I have a Smart Pie 4, a little over a year old, about 1700kms on it. Today while riding in light rain the throttle kept cutting in and out. I have a volt meter on the handlebars, it wasn't a connection problem, the voltage remained either stable or went up due to no longer having a load. Never had this problem before. Could the rain have been a factor? I have a 36v thumb throttle but am using a 48v battery, only the bottom red LED lights up, the other two are fried I think from the excess voltage I assume. I do have a tendency to just let go of the thumb lever when letting off the throttle so it snaps back rather than ease it back gently. So, is it likely the throttle or is my controller the problem?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:32:13 PM by Thuktun »

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Intermittent throttle problem
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 09:52:13 AM »
No problems riding home yesterday after it dried out and no problems riding in this morning. I'm blaming the water. I think I'll try to make some sort of removable cover out of a two liter bottle keep the wet off when it rains.

Offline Adam319

• Confirmed
Re: Intermittent throttle problem
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 12:48:02 PM »
Show us what you come up with. I usually keep a plastic bag handy in case of rain. Just put it on loose over the throttle when I am driving it. Crazy as it sounds, I swear one time I didn't do that and I think the MP reprogrammed itself. It used to take a few seconds to ramp up to full throttle. One day after I forgot the bag and it got wet I was on my way to work. I noticed it was a LOT more responsive in the throttle. Kept going into work full throttle and forgot about it. I came up to an intersection and stopped because there was a car coming. They waved me across. I pegged the throttle and rode a wheelie across the intersection without peddling...I bet they were like WTF? After that I ordered a programming cable. The throttle was set to 100%. I went ahead and brought it down a little bit.