Author Topic: On/off switch  (Read 3878 times)

Offline tim...nz

• Confirmed
On/off switch
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:11:26 AM »

Hey, I've had a search through the forum but didn't find what I needed:

I have a key switch fitted to the gate but when I switch it, it just turns off the battery level lights on the thumb throttle. The red one stays lit dimly and the motor still goes when the throttle is pressed. What's going on?!

Offline tim...nz

• Confirmed
Re: On/off switch
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:11:52 AM »
no ideas?

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »
Hey Timmay

Me thinks it could have something to do with yer ye old english you were using...

Could you reiterate your question? People are picturing a front gate at your house with a key switch somehow linked to your bike....haha

I assume you mean that when you 'switch off' your keyswitch, you say the red battery level stays lit and the bike still has power?

If so, you may need to replace your keyswitch or swap it for a heavy guage DC rocker switch some have also done.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:45:17 AM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline Thaialien

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:35:10 AM »
This Guy gets around alot lets ask him ,,,,,Oh he still never heard of Golden Motor ! he's saving the planet on his own!
Maybe he's heard of some inpendig disaster and is just not ready to settle down !
Try to put a smile on the face of others it cost nothing ...by what you say !

Offline tim...nz

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions - love the tiny camper!

Yes so I put a keyswitch into the gate wire as per the controller pdf wiring diagram on the DIY page at http://goldenmotor.com/
(attached) but as you understood, MagicMonkey, the only thing it does it turn the battery level lights off (with the low one still glowing faintly). There is still power to the motor and cruise control/regen both still work.

Gary said ask in the forums.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:59 PM »
I think at one time that used to work and this is how people were able to use the alarm function on the older controllers. It seems to me several people have tried this recently with no success. I think the last one to try it in the forum was andrew.

Gary

Offline Andy

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 11:43:25 PM »
Tim............sounds like it could be a bad ground.
Maybe got wet or oxidized,Try take it off,apart and then clean up.Use dielectric grease,

Offline tim...nz

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 04:30:25 AM »
Hmmm we tested the switch with a meter and it works perfectly. Sounds like the switch function isn't made to do what I'm expecting it to. The next plan is to use a relay (from a car) with the keyswitch so it can handle the high voltage of the battery lead.