Author Topic: Cannot connect to my two new MP4s please help!  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Ajgeno125

• Confirmed
Cannot connect to my two new MP4s please help!
« on: December 11, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
I am a teacher in Chicago and purchased two Magic Pie's kits for a electric bike project in my manufacturing engineering course.  I cannot connect the computer to either for programming.
I ordered a 24V system w/ a thumb throttle. I have two 12v batteries in series; that is producing 25.2V I have downloaded the PI-800 programming software from goldenmotor.com today(to get the most updated version) here is my order of operations.

1)batteries wired in series. Producing 25.2v  with a switch in the off position on the negative side
2)connected wheel to the batteries and wheel to the USB cable
3)plugged in USB cable to the computer(noting which com port I'm using)
4) opened the software and choose the proper com port
5) clicked the connect button. and received a "no response because of time out" error message
6) then turned on the switch to supply the power.

the lights on the thumb throttle all turn on showing full battery; however it does not connect, I just receive the no response error message. I tried both wheels with the same result.
 PLEASE HELP I don't want to let my students down..

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Cannot connect to my two new MP4s please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 02:39:52 AM »
I have already replied to your PM with a few suggestions, but it would be better to update this thread with your findings as other forum members may also like to know what is/was causing your connection problem.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »
What were your suggestions Alan, I directed him to post here as I am out of ideas.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »
Here is a little more history to this issue...

He was able to connect to one kit no problem. Then the second kit no problem. Then went back to the first one and received the data packet error. Then the second kit now also has the data packet error. Now both kits do not spin up.

I suggested he try running the batteries in series to produce 48 volts and try it that way. Maybe the controller LVC was effecting it. He did that and now says the throttle switch has blown. Im nit sure how this could have happened unless the loose wires coming from the harness are shorted.

If this is the case both controllers may be failed now.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 05:31:45 PM »
What were your suggestions Alan, I directed him to post here as I am out of ideas.

Hi Gary,

As the fault was common to both motors, I suggested it might be a problem with either the USB interface cable or perhaps the computer itself:
Quote from: Bikemad
Try using another PC/laptop to see if it makes any difference (If you haven't already done so) and it might also be worth trying different versions of the program (see dropbox link in this post) to see if one of them will allow proper connection, and check out Gary's video if you haven't already done so to make sure you are trying to connect correctly.

If you have tried different programs and an alternative PC and you still can't connect, I would suggest you contact David at GM China and see if he can help with your problem.

Perhaps your local GM dealer might be able to test the USB lead to check if it's working properly:

The Golden Trail, Inc.
21st Century Locomotion
CHICAGO, IL 60647
USA
Tel: +1 773-871-2920
Fax: +1 708-724-6816

He was able to connect to one kit no problem. Then the second kit no problem. Then went back to the first one and received the data packet error. Then the second kit now also has the data packet error. Now both kits do not spin up.

I suggested he try running the batteries in series to produce 48 volts and try it that way. Maybe the controller LVC was effecting it. He did that and now says the throttle switch has blown. Im nit sure how this could have happened unless the loose wires coming from the harness are shorted.

If this is the case both controllers may be failed now.

He didn't mention that he had already successfully connected to either of the controllers, so I assumed there was a problem with the interface lead, PC or software, not the controllers.

I also think the shorted light feed and ground wires is the most likely cause of a blown lighting switch, I still maintain that these wires should have connectors pre-fitted at the factory to prevent this sort of problem from happening.

Do you know whether the connection problem occurred prior to the switch blowing, or could it be due to wiring or component damage sustained during the brief short circuit?

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:48:32 PM by Bikemad »