Author Topic: NewB here. Some info on GM 500w rear motor + Foxpower 10AH Lifepo4  (Read 60832 times)

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: NewB here. Some info on GM 500w rear motor + Foxpower 10AH Lifepo4
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2009, 09:16:38 AM »
Well finally got around to replacing the rest of the spokes and got the Foxpower Lifepo4 in a 48-volt pack.  Some bad cells were quickly replaced.  Put the batts in panniers as low as I could so it handles a bit better now.  Top speed up a couple MPH and range is about the same. Put on another road crank set with a 52-tooth high gear so I can actually help the motor at 20 MPH now as well as look like I am doing something.  Great when things finally get sorted out and you can just ride and ride and...

Thought an update might be in order.  The GM 500 motor now has 4000+ miles on it but the Foxpower batts did not like the extra amperage the new ecrazyman 48V controller was pulling so I went with another battery.  Got hold of some Dewalt packs tore them apart and pieced a few of the packs together.  Wow what a difference A123 lifep04 made.  Smooth power and at way more amps than I can possibly use with this set up. Lipo is good also but A123s will have far more charge cycles in them.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:22:33 PM by biohazardman »

Offline sandmanhi

• Confirmed
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:10 AM »
Too bad the bags don't go down just a bit more, then you would never see the motor. 

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2009, 11:25:58 AM »
Too bad the bags don't go down just a bit more, then you would never see the motor. 
I thought about that also but they cost more than double what I paid for these and if they were any lower, they would hit the back of my foot as I pedal.  Even bought a different rack so I could move them down only to find they would also have to be moved backwards near equal to my lowering for the pedaling clearance issue.  Have to finish the 500 lumen light set up I am building and then I will call the thing done as I am working on a full suspension geared motor bike at the moment.

Offline biohazardman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
It's been a couple of years now and the Schwinn with the GM 500W motor has over 5K on it now. I learned allot from the build. The bike is my brothers now and he put many miles on it last summer and expect he will continue doing the same. Second build was a Giant Trance3 with a BMC V2 600W motor with 66V of a123 M1 removed from Dewalt Nano packs.  To be quite honest I think the GM motor was built slightly better than my BMC specially in the axle machining area.  But I have noticed when you get these motors no matter the brand it's the luck of the draw as to what you are going to get fit and finish wise. I feel lucky just to get motors that run for so many miles as I have seen many that are not so lucky.  Expect I will have to try one of the Magic Pie motors someday in the future but I am waiting for them to change the name before I do.  ;^)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=390