Author Topic: What is your ideal Magic Pie Bike frame/style?  (Read 10083 times)

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: What is your ideal Magic Pie Bike frame/style?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 05:55:40 AM »
Dangwillo:

Looks like a lot of fun on the open trails. A hub motor would bog down on the slow technical stuff, but if you can keep the revs up it'd be a blast I'm sure.  ;D

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 06:16:24 AM »
Morgan:

Nothing as exotic as steamed/bent or compound curves (not this time anyway). Last time I just glued up 2 strips of 1/8" baltic birch around the tire as a form, trimmed afterward and was painted black to match the bike which was red. I would like to do the fenders in stained/natural covered in epoxy with a matching tank plate, but then I'd pretty much have to paint the bike black.

homemade wooden fender painted and installed on my cargo cruiser

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 07:20:47 AM »
i don't have specific bike frame that I like.. but I do have Magic Pie 4 (20" sport rim)  & Magic Pie 5 (26" mtb)

to be truth I do like folding bike 20" more than mtb 26" just for fun ride nearby my home.. well at least I can do frontwheelie after stops at any traffic light with folding bike 20".. :)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:34:35 PM by MrBulp »

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »
Mr. Burp,  I have been curious about the 20 inch wheel performance compared to the 26- and you enjoy it more.  Does it accelerate quicker?

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 02:44:46 PM »
Dangwillow:

It will accelerate faster and climb better but have slower top speed. I think 30km/h is the top speed instead of 50km/h

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2015, 02:48:15 AM »
Mr. Burp,  I have been curious about the 20 inch wheel performance compared to the 26- and you enjoy it more.  Does it accelerate quicker?

Dangwillow:

It will accelerate faster and climb better but have slower top speed. I think 30km/h is the top speed instead of 50km/h

yes thank you OCD for the explanation.. :) anyway I can get top speed around 35km/h++ for 20inch

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2015, 04:34:28 AM »
If you up your voltage on the 20" it will go just as fast as a larger wheel plus climb/accelerate faster

Offline MrBulp

• Confirmed
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 08:04:47 AM »
OCD.. im using Magic Pie so the maximum is 48V.. unless there is hacking to the controller that id never know.. :)

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2015, 01:25:13 PM »
A hub motor would bog down on the slow technical stuff, but if you can keep the revs up it'd be a blast I'm sure.
There was a nice combination of torque and acceleration which did indeed make it a blast.  The upright and the handlebars were lame for that that kind of riding.  I took a front wheel drive Townie with me as well, and talk about getting bogged down!  And scary too.  The front wheel wwould get bogged down, and the force the bike down.  I made some video and will post it just to show the fail.  I do not own a fat tire bike, but this would be paradise for one.  I would like to make one of my MP5's into a Fat tire but I would need a new bike and have to fit the motor in there. ::)