Author Topic: What is your ideal Magic Pie Bike frame/style?  (Read 10193 times)

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
What is your ideal Magic Pie Bike frame/style?
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:06:51 PM »
Howdy folks,

I have set my MP5 up on three different bikes, and each one performed very differently. I used an inexpensive dual suspension Genesis from Walmart.  It was too flexible.  I then got a hold of an old EVG Ebike, removed the old electronics and put on the MP5.  It was way more stable than the Genesis, but it was steel and heavy.  The feeling of extreme torque and acceleration was diminished with the heavier bike as well, but the steel frame provided a nice stable ride. Well, kind of, the Zokes fork is not up to the task, and the headset is threaded, but it is 1 1/8, which means I can upgrade it. 

A problem that I have is that where I live has no sidewalks, and the roads are rutted and full of potholes- so I really wanted a full suspension bike to take away some impact from the MP5, hence my latest creation - A Specialized FSR XC, with the stem and handlebars from the EVG (they are better suited for the streets).  I think this bike weighs less than the MP5, and it has lots of torque and accelerates fast.  However, it is not that comfortable on longer rides.  I have been eyeballing an 50's Schwinn Phantom, and I wonder how the beach cruisers do with the MP5?  What are your experiences with various bike frames and styles? Have you found one you like?  Anyone have an old bike (+50 years) with a Magic/smart Pie?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:13:06 PM by Dangwillo »

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: What is your ideal Magic Pie Bike frame/style?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 11:32:49 AM »
I hoping to get some people's input as I am new at this and still learning.  Here is my latest build: a Specialized FSR Rim.  Full suspension.  The first time I put the MP in this bike, I did it without any torque arms- and it worked fine; then, it torqued itself right out of the rear dropouts, crushing a few wires, including the throttle.  I fixed it, or made it work again.  In the process something seems to have changed the controller settings. For example, my regen brakes were set very high, as in when I pulled the brake lever, the bike nearly came to a stop.  Now, it is much more mild- I actually like it better.  Anyway, waiting on USB and Bluetooth connection so I will get to see what's going on soon enough. 

I think this bike weighs in at about 25 Lbs.  And it accelerates way quicker than the steel frame bike I used before.  The full suspension makes it quite a nice ride for the 20,000 horse town that I live in.  I took the stem and handlebars off of the EVG and put them on this bike giving me a much more upright riding position.  I also cannot attach the battery to the frame due the the space, but I was able to strap it in place.  According to the BAC LED I get up to 28 mph on this bike.

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
Next up is the Felt Heritage.  I got into E-bikes as a result of getting out of motorcycling.  So I wanted something that was more like a motorcycle.  I have not received my motors yet, but the next build will be on this.  I was thinking of doing a front wheel drive on this bike.

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 02:52:17 PM »
Here's the one I'm building at the moment...  8)

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 02:24:53 PM »
That is awesome!  I can't wait to see it finished.  Where are you located?

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
Thanks for the compliment, I'm located on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. More work will be done this weekend, will keep you up to date.  8)

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
A couple more shots of the build:

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 10:34:38 PM »
I was hoping yo were closer I'd like to check that out.  Very cool. I t appears the cruisers I got are not exactly the best candidates without a little work.  The cruisers have a seat post angle and seat that do not work with the GM suspension rack for battery, so I need to find an alternative, no biggie. But a delay.  I guess what I am looking for is a great bike to easily transform, but I would rather work on something like OCD above.  If you got the skills, I imagine it could be cheaper to build your own. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:22:33 PM by Dangwillo »

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 04:24:36 PM »
Thought I'd bump this thread with a couple of progress shots.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 06:54:49 PM »
Hi OCD,

Hey, I missed this thread somehow, but I really like the look of your bike. You have a good eye for elegant curves.    The front suspension is particularly interesting, and the shapes of the tubes are gorgeous.   The reaction under static load is pretty obvious, but how do you expect the suspension to react to a paving strip or rock induced bump? 

Will you be using fenders over those fat tires, or leave them naked?

Again, nice work.  Thanks for sharing with us. I see I'm not the only guy who likes jigging things:) 

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Socalbiker

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 02:15:40 AM »
Hey Dangwillo,
What kind of battery pack are you using?

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:45 PM »
Socalbiker I am using a 10ah 48 volt dolphin pack I bought from Lunacycle.

OCD Seriously man, that is ...I am speechless.  I concur with Morgen. Very nice indeed!

Offline OCD

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 04:53:26 AM »
Thanks guys! Yes, there will be a pair of wooden fenders on this build as well. I'm surrounded by west coast rainforest and oceanside, I can't wait for sunny days to ride! The fork is based on the old Schwinn springer bicycle fork, I've seen the beefed up version on custom motorcycles for years and decided to build my own. One advantage to this style of fork is that under braking they stiffen up, unlike the parallel link style springer which often dives sharply under hard braking. Anyway, it's mostly for style and nods toward the '50's bobber theme. Apart from a kickstand, the metal fabrication's nearly finished, to be followed by smoothing out the welds before paint.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 06:41:59 AM »
Jeez, OCD,  you sure know how to get my attention.  Wooden fenders!  Not afraid of a challenge, eh?   You going to steam some cedar into a flat curve, or  going to be really brave (read stupid:) )  and go for compound curves in the fenders?  Or maybe laminate some veneer into shape?   

Have fun and please keep showing us your artwork.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Dangwillo

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 04:02:53 PM »
OCD - You should make more forks and sell them- I bet they would be great for front and all wheel drive.

This has been a pretty good off-road bike, but I need bigger tires for where I was riding. :
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 04:12:42 PM by Dangwillo »