Author Topic: Lubing Spokes  (Read 928 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Lubing Spokes
« on: November 15, 2023, 09:24:11 PM »

Hello , Some of my spokes look a little corroded .3-4 year old MP5 ..Stored inside ..used most every day .. Thinking about using a drop of oil on the spoke threads and where it rotates in the Rim .. Only worry I have is if the oil might seep into the rim cavity and cause a problem for the tube ... I'd use the smallest drop ..someone suggested using a toothpick to apply it ...
      What are the thought on this / Will/Could it help ..or a waste of time .. I like to try to keep things working but sometimes I can make it worse from my "help" .... I also read somewhere that you should turn each spoke back and forth 1/2 turn to let the Lube work in .... Don't think I'm gonna do that ...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Lubing Spokes
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2023, 10:30:04 PM »
Don, even if you put too much oil on each of the the spoke/nipple joints it is unlikely to get anywhere near the inner tube.
As soon as you start riding, the centrifugal force will soon fling off any excess oil externally, but it may affect your rear brake if you don't have disc brakes and some of the oil ends up on the braking portion of the rim.

I find that tyres tend to be quite resistant to oil, as when I lube my chain, the excess oil always ends up on the sidewall of the rear tyre, but I've never had to replace a tyre due to the effects of oil.
They are usually replaced because the tread has completely worn out or because they have been severely damaged by riding over a sharp object.

Alan

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 06:45:14 PM »
You should also consider that lubing the threads of the spokes may allow them to unthread.

I would get a can of chain lube and spray it on some steel wool.
Use that to polish the corrosion off the spokes and coat them at the same time.

Finish with a paper towel and more chain lubel

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 02:08:50 AM »
You should also consider that lubing the threads of the spokes may allow them to unthread.

All spoke nipples are typically lubricated on the threads and where the head of the nipples seat into the rim if the wheel has been assembled correctly.

If the spokes are re-tensioned correctly as they initially settle in, the nipples should not come undone on their own.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 10:08:25 PM »

Thank You for the Reply's .. I used the toothpick trick someone posted here .. dip the toothpick in some thin oil then use it to put a little on the threads and where the spoke meets the rim ..who knows if it did anything to help ?

Thank You for all the Information ..always good to learn ..