Author Topic: Problem with BAC-601 LCD display  (Read 943 times)

Offline Ozkartman

• Confirmed
Problem with BAC-601 LCD display
« on: September 25, 2023, 10:18:27 AM »
Hi, Al here from Thailand.  I have about 30 GM bikes all up. We rent them out & sell when we can. Great bikes. I'm not particularly a novice in regards to all this.  A few years ago I bought the Smart Pie 5 & it's just been in the box waiting for an owner.  We just sold it & built a bike.  Also I sold the customer a LCD display BAC-601, however, it's not working.  I have 5x LCDs in stock & we've tried them all - same same.  When I plug the LCD's into the Magic Pie edges they work fine however.  Next I tried the bluetooth dongle in the Smart Pie & that works fine too.  So what could the problem be & how to fix it ? 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Problem with BAC-601 LCD display
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 12:03:21 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

I have no idea as to why the BAC-601 displays are not working on the Smart Pie 5 when they are working fine on the Magic Pie Edge.

The controller on my original Smart Pie 4 (before Bluetooth was available) was clearly marked MP5 on the controller's label, so I initially thought that yours might have been a Smart Pie 4 instead of a Smart Pie 5. However, if it was a Smart Pie 4 controller, then I wouldn't expect the Bluetooth dongle to work with it.

I seem to recall that there were two different versions of the BAC-601 displays, one for the the Magic Pie 4 and the other for the Magic Pie 5 and they were not interchangeable, but as far as I'm aware, the Magic Pie Edge uses the same controller as the Smart Pie 5 and the Magic Pie 5, but with different firmware.

Perhaps the controller in the Smart Pie 5 may need to have its firmware re-flashed, but I suggest that you contact golden Motor in China (sales@goldenmotor.com) or the supplying dealer and explain the problem you are experiencing and they may be able to supply you with the flash update program and the correct Smart Pie 5 firmware to re-flash the firmware in the controller using the USB programming cable.

If re-flashing the firmware doesn't rectify the fault, then it could be a hardware problem with the controller itself (or the controller's wiring) in which case the controller might have to be replaced to enable the BAC-601 display to work.  :(

Alan

Offline Ozkartman

• Confirmed
Re: Problem with BAC-601 LCD display
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2023, 03:38:17 AM »
Hi Alan,  thanks for the reply.  It's a great forum btw & I don't know why I haven't found it before.  I could probably contribute a lot so will visit more frequently in the future.  It seems you are coming to the same conclusions as me exactly. So, what I am thinking now, to get out of my conundrum, is to take the MPE controller off my other bike & fit it to my SP5 & voila.  Might have to change a parameter or two via the bluetooth app, but that's no problem. The customer is happy.  I don't use a LCD on the MPE bike either, so all good. 

Update 1:  So I've pulled both the controllers off now.  The SP5 definitely has the SP5 controller with batch 20170317-V 18A v 5.3.1.  The MPE is a different batch 22A & same version software I'm guessing v5.3.1.  So they should work fingers crossed 555.  Now I will install the MPE controller in the SP5 motor, connect to bluetooth & change the parameters slightly.  Does anyone have the SP5 factory specs ?  (or maybe there is a function in the app 🤔)

Update 2: The SP5 worked but in reverse !   I did try switching the phase wires & hall sensor wires on the MPE controller to work in the SP5 motor but can feel the motor does not like it, so didn't put power through.   So looks to me it's definitely a software update thing.  youch !

« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 08:00:16 AM by Ozkartman »