Author Topic: How to open Magic Pie (Version 3) Direct Drive Motor (Front Drive)  (Read 2523 times)

Offline GenK_777

• Confirmed
Hi E -Bike Community,

I am in a real pickle here with my Magic Pie V3  direct drive motor and need some advise.

Summary:

Last year when riding home a new sound came from the hub motor located on the front wheel. The sound was a "tattering" sound in cadence with the RPM of the motor (i.e. faster I want the quicker the tattering sound repeated). Right then in there I said I got to get this thing open.

Fast forward to today and I have been painfully trying to open this damn thing up with out wrecking it >:(. What I cannot see is how the bearing configuration is setup. On the "non" controller side" I got the cover to lift off and see one bearing in that cover.

Controller Side: This side has me scratching my head. I have removed the controller puck I see a "Snap Ring" to remove (See Pictures), but this does not answer the question of what is holding the mian controller side plate in so firmly. Its not just the magnetc field from the rotor, it is mechanical such like a large bearing pack etc. Before I go and get a "Bearing" Puller tool and I need to know if anyone has worked on these before and learned about this.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How to open Magic Pie (Version 3) Direct Drive Motor (Front Drive)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 11:05:02 PM »
Hi Bill,

There is a large bearing inside that cover which has probably rusted onto the controller housing section of the aluminium stator:

Apply some penetrating oil and let it soak for a while to see if it will help it to come off.

The other option is to remove the stator and cover as a complete unit and then try to drift the cover off from the other side by using a wooden drift between the stator spokes.

You could also try using a hair dryer to heat up and expand the outer cover to try and release the cover from the bearing.

Alan

« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 11:12:41 PM by Bikemad »

Offline GenK_777

• Confirmed
Re: How to open Magic Pie (Version 3) Direct Drive Motor (Front Drive)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 04:45:37 AM »
Thanks Alan,

Thank you for this information, most apprecaited. I was able to get the non-controller side off and saw the large bearing on the other side. Checked the motor and gave it a good cleaning. Ran it up on the test bench and all seems good, The tattering sound is gone. Not sure what it was but everything looked in order. Next time I have to open it I will try the penetrating oil on the large bearing side combined with a heat source to help loosen it like you mentioned. I was surpirsed to see such a large bearing pack, but also pleased as it was quite a heavy duty looking bearing. I have over 3000Kms on this motor and it still sounds good to this day.

Thanks again for your help.