Author Topic: Super G's New Project  (Read 24617 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Super G's New Project
« on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:56 AM »
Picked up a new bike today. Went to Canadian Tire to buy a few comfy seats and found a dual suspension downhill bike with steel forks on an aluminum frame. Has a disk brake on the front and mounts for one on the rear. Anyway I don't know when this bike will emerge. It is now hidden in my shed behind some large objects still in the box. Another time I am glad the wife doesnt read the forum. Funny thing the guy at Canadian Tire says if you take it unasembled you don't get a warranty. I figure with what I intend to do with it the warranty is void anyway.

Here is the website photo and details. Its on half price this week.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443324981&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672192&bmUID=1301967914931

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Super G's New Project
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 06:22:41 AM »
Wow, bargain :)  completely ideal with steel fork and disc fitment. Just make sure you remove the frame and wheel reflectors before going out in public on it.

CCM... All you need now is a matching Ice hockey Helmet ;D

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »
Wowzers

Gary that frame/type is identical to the new version of my bike.
In Australia the brand is called "Cyclops" and they are around the same price too.

For the money they are just as good as any other in the same class, I cannot fault them and mine (is the older steel frame) sure has been through some tough times !!

What build are we thinking for this one?

And did you end up picking up that seat? I'm in an accessories mood obviously lol

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 10:03:59 PM »
For what Andrew say that type of front forks are the ones that will support a front pie. I am right?
If so I have to look for a similar bike for my son then.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 12:49:16 AM »
First lOOk!

Stuck A pie on it to see how it looks :)

Stuck a Disk brake Activator on the back, Looks like it will line up with a disk nicely..

I was able to use the 7 speed freewheel that was on it by adding one GM washer inside. It fit perfectly no filing!

I think I am going to like this one! Hmm I think I say that every time don't I?

I think I'll keep this one real clean loooking, No GM buttons or brake levers, just a thumb throttle a seatpost rack and a small pouch under the seat for the wires. 

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »
Wow, bargain :)  completely ideal with steel fork and disc fitment. Just make sure you remove the frame and wheel reflectors before going out in public on it.

I think pretty much every Canadian grew up riding CCM or Supercycle bike bought at Canadian Tire. They have always been a great bargain and the best thing about Canadian Tire is every item in the store goes on sale at one time or another.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:29:57 AM »
Wowzers

Gary that frame/type is identical to the new version of my bike.
In Australia the brand is called "Cyclops" and they are around the same price too.

For the money they are just as good as any other in the same class, I cannot fault them and mine (is the older steel frame) sure has been through some tough times !!

What build are we thinking for this one?

And did you end up picking up that seat? I'm in an accessories mood obviously lol

It sure is a nice looking bike. yes I did pick up too lard ass seats. I mean no pressure seats :) Thats how I ended up finding this bike.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 01:34:54 AM »
For what Andrew say that type of front forks are the ones that will support a front pie. I am right?
If so I have to look for a similar bike for my son then.

Yes it certainly does have strong enough forks. I do plan on a dual pie setup gain. I need it for the hills on the way to work. This will be my new ride to work for sure. I need to treat the tush nicer on the way to work with dual suspension and a comfy seat.

Gary

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 01:47:32 AM »
I think I'll keep this one real clean loooking, No GM buttons or brake levers, just a thumb throttle a seatpost rack and a small pouch under the seat for the wires.  

What, not even a cup holder?

I'm thinking it could be time for a painted Pie, colour coordinated to match the bike so it looks like it was meant to be there.

And a painted rack and battery pack to match too. ;D

Alan

P.S. I just noticed it even has your "Super Gary" initials on the seat as well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:06:47 AM by Bikemad »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 02:07:16 AM »
Haha, That is a good point! Can I be serious about riding a bike if it doesnt have a cup holder? I think not!

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 07:36:15 PM »
Nice touches there Alan.

Well Gary, it's a funny change to see you with a 'big boys bike' and not a sensible 'gentleman's bike' ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 03:48:19 AM »
lol "Big boys bike!"

I guess the cracks in the road have finally caught up with me! Time for some smooth riding. Beleive me I have thought about it alot and when I saw half price I could not resist! My wife has a full suspension mountain bike with a HBS 36v500w and it is so smooth, even on the sidewalks. This is her bike before I converted it.

Gary

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »

I think pretty much every Canadian grew up riding CCM or Supercycle bike bought at Canadian Tire. They have always been a great bargain and the best thing about Canadian Tire is every item in the store goes on sale at one time or another.

Gary

Its true, I've had a couple Supercycles in my youth; and my friends had CCMs. Your bike looks good Gary. I predict upgrading to a dual suspension bike for my pies in the future; the roads here in North Bay are terrible. My back wheel literally bounces off the ground with all the pot holes, which reminds me to check my spokes before I ride home for lunch today. So how did you know it had steel forks? Was it in the ad?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 02:40:27 AM »

Its true, I've had a couple Supercycles in my youth; and my friends had CCMs. Your bike looks good Gary. I predict upgrading to a dual suspension bike for my pies in the future; the roads here in North Bay are terrible. My back wheel literally bounces off the ground with all the pot holes, which reminds me to check my spokes before I ride home for lunch today. So how did you know it had steel forks? Was it in the ad?

I went to the automotive department. Picked up one of the long rods with the magnet on the end for picking up droped screws, nails bolts, etc. Walked it over to the bicycle department and tried to stick it to the forks. Yay, it stuck! If the forks are aluminum it wont stick.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 03:01:25 AM »
More progress..

Today I added the second pie and the Cycle Analyst. I got most of the wiring done and its all in a pouch under the seat. Still need lights. Afterall it is going to be a serious commuter to work and its often dark. Took it for a quick boot. Decided I need upright handelbar extentions on this bike so I can sit more upright. Also did not like riding without cruise control so I added that. Another quick ride to test the cruise and decided its to dangerous to use cruise and not have power brake levers. So much for a simple clean build. Since my brake levers and gear changers were built into a single unit I had to replace them with separate gears shifters and the GM power brake levers. I don't know why people resist this. The new click shifting gear shifters were only 20 dollars. Then I was toying with the idea of a socond throttle on the upright bar so I can sit upright and still have throttle control. So what the heck I added a second throttle. Then I though it would be nice to have a brake lever on the upright on the other side. So I added that. My original Brakes serviced a front disk brake and a rear center pull brake. The additional lever will go to the Disk Brake I added to the back. So now I have three power brake levers and two throttles. Pictures to come tommorow when I get a bit more tinkering done.

Gary

Oh yeah, I also added a drink holder. I guess I am to predictable sometimes.