Author Topic: Old battery-problem? Suggestions?  (Read 3348 times)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Old battery-problem? Suggestions?
« on: August 09, 2016, 07:22:42 PM »
Im back...

Can the max current setting be the problem? What should this be set at With a 36V battery? or 24V?

I finally set up 3! Magic Pie 2(internal Controller)... 2 front Wheel drive and one backwheelie that I bought several years ago... been sitting in the basement... I had a joy-ebike With mp2 on it for a while... now bought a New LEB-300 and a New battery... Tried a 36V battery and the diy-bike Works iff I only press for half the throttle... Works Nice on my New bike tho... Got a tip to change it by the PI200 - to 24V... but it already says 24V.... the 36V battery Works Nice on the LEB-300(MP3)... what else might be wrong? The 24V battery I have seems to be dead also :-\ :'(, Please advise anyone?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 08:18:34 PM by karen »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Old battery-problem? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »
Hi Karen,

Are these Magic Pies fitted to three separate bikes, or is it a single cargo trike or velomobile fitted with three Magic Pies?
Multiple motors will draw too much current for a single standard eBike battery pack (unless a very low maximum current setting is used on each of the motors) and they would really require two (or more) identical batteries connected in parallel to provide sufficient power for all motors.

If it's just a single motor that runs OK at part throttle, but cuts out under full throttle, it sounds like the motor is trying to draw more power than the battery (or possibly its BMS) can supply.
If this is the case, you will need to reduce the maximum current setting until the motor stops cutting out at full throttle.

If the 24V battery has been left uncharged for a long time (6-12 months or longer) then the battery may no longer be useable.  You can try leaving it on charge for at least 24 hours to see if it will return to a useable state, but it is very unlikely to make a full recovery if it has been left for long periods without regular recharging. :(

Alan

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 12:28:07 PM »
3 different bikes:) TU so much for the advise, I will try it tonight:)

Offline karen

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:51:16 PM »
any tips on where to buy new cells to the battery would be strongly appreciated 8) sort of have the casings with the andersonplug from golden motor...