Author Topic: Magic Pie loses all power under load at low speed  (Read 28792 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie loses all power under load at low speed
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 08:04:18 AM »
Hey Andrew

You have 2 spare controllers??? Awesome
What PCB's are they? (MX-318/319?)

How did you get those!! Sneaky

Don't even think about changing it unless its broken... And if a controller does fail, never throw it out as you can near guarantee it's just a couple of FET's on the board.

From memory, 1 forum member modded the internal controller running it external before changing it to an infineon. All other attempts to modify the board have seemed to fail.

I'm leaving mine alone ;)

The other night I fixed a MX-318 PCB (the one with the shunt mounted on side1 of PCB) before it had 5 beeps, I replaced the FETS and now it doesn't beep even without throttle connected - but plugging in a throttle it works!! (not sure for how long though..)

You can definitely 100% purchase an internal controller from GM - I paid $60USD via EMS over a year ago now and was sent a pack of circlips, MX-318 PCB (current at the time), new power wire (battery anderson connector), full pack of spare quick disconnectors + new controller to DIN socket harness

Not sure if it's the same price now, or what you get - but I'm sure it's available.

So how did you come across these controllers Drewmeister ??

:D

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
You have 2 spare controllers??? Awesome
What PCB's are they? (MX-318/319?)

How did you get those!! Sneaky

MM, Andrew didn't say they were spare controllers, he's referring to the ones already fitted inside each of his Pies! ;D

Alan

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
LOL I was wondering if people ebay those or something!
Thanks for pointing that out :D

Well keep them snug Andrew :)

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »
Im afraid to say that Alan is correct.  No spare i/c's here  :(

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
Ohhh well that would have been nice :)

Still, it let me spill my story of replacing the blown fets in the other controller.

I have a couple of non-GM hub motors here I may try and test it on. I'll make a spiffy cooled controller box for it before I do any testing.

So is your rim true yet Andrew !?

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
Ohhh well that would have been nice :)

Still, it let me spill my story of replacing the blown fets in the other controller.

I have a couple of non-GM hub motors here I may try and test it on. I'll make a spiffy cooled controller box for it before I do any testing.

So is your rim true yet Andrew !?

Yeah,,    where you been?(or am I missing the humour :-\).........  I've been riding on the crest of a dual pie wave for the last 3 days. Rim arrived from China on monday with a set of new spokes, it was taken to a bike shop (i hate bike shops by the way) and they relaced it. same day I set it up and plugged it all in, and off I went. No regen or cruise, just me the pies and hydraulic brakes. I will try and take lots of photos this weekend and post up all the mods i've done to my bike since starting out on this E-Bike adventure ;D

Andrew :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:26:43 PM by Andrew »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2011, 02:42:01 AM »
 I've been riding on the crest of a dual pie wave for the last 3 days. Rim arrived from China on monday with a set of new spokes, it was taken to a bike shop (i hate bike shops by the way) and they relaced it. same day I set it up and plugged it all in, and off I went. No regen or cruise, just me the pies and hydraulic brakes. I will try and take lots of photos this weekend and post up all the mods i've done to my bike since starting out on this E-Bike adventure ;D

Andrew :)

Certainly seems like you are enjoying it. Doesn't it snow where you are?

Gary

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
the snow has thawed out for the present. Being in the South of the UK and being on the coast, snow is more of an event than a permanent fixture during winter. Anything that breaks up the monotony of rain and darkness is usually welcome.  At present it's just crispy cold and sunny,, which is a blessing.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2011, 09:49:29 PM »
ordered a spare controller myself, for external ( thanks gary,  pie is fab by the way ) , im sure with dual pies, either replacement or parts, one will come in handy to have on hand sooner or later.....
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2011, 02:41:04 PM »
ordered a spare controller myself, for external ( thanks gary,  pie is fab by the way ) , im sure with dual pies, either replacement or parts, one will come in handy to have on hand sooner or later.....

Glad to hear the pies are running well. Beware of the regen though. I noticed some high spikes from regen when I was testing it at full on both pies.

Gary

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2011, 08:04:59 PM »
Cheers for all the help Gary

To be honest I have disabled the regen on both wheels...my area is hilly and when I tested on 50% regen on a single wheel, I was pumping up to 25 amps regen peak......im not risking the controllers , got some good disc brakes :)......

Anyone had a response from GM on the use of USB cable limiting the controllers to 15 amps ish ?

regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
like you Ginge i'm not risking using regen.  My bike is sweet just using hydraulic disc brakes. From what i've read,  and how I ride, I just don't need the regen, and with internal controllers i'm not about to take any cahnces. I have regen/cruise buttons connected to one pie at prresent, but I think I may strip it out of the equation all together

;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:42 PM »

Anyone had a response from GM on the use of USB cable limiting the controllers to 15 amps ish ?

Whats the question? Did I miss something?

Gary