Author Topic: Suggestions and advice  (Read 4354 times)

Offline pacrat

• Confirmed
Suggestions and advice
« on: April 26, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »
Hello, I bought my son a Freedex bike (he is disabled) and want to add a small 12" motor, to assist him.  Primarily he will pedal, or use it to assist him (his right side is weak) or he will use it to drive him home if tired after the ride to the park.
For safety, if you can recommend the "safest" set up for him, as he has driven a 24v Jeep, but I don't want to put a motor on that going to send him 60km/h , until he figures it out, lol... 

Here is a pic of the bike to give you an idea of what I want.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:10:29 PM by pacrat »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Suggestions and advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:38 PM »
A 12" Smart Pie would probably be ideal apart from the braking system.

I don't know whether that drum brake could be easily transferred to the Smart Pie, but I suspect you may need to fabricate a mounting for a mechanical disc brake caliper to allow the locking front brake to be retained.

The maximum speed with a 24V battery should be around 6 mph (10km/h), on a 48V battery it should be around 12 mph (20km/h).

The speed and power could be reduced using the programming software and USB programming cable if required.

Alan

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Suggestions and advice
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 04:49:16 PM »
Hi,

When I built my Morgen, I bought a hydraulic disc brake set up from a scooter/ATV parts store. The master cylinder lever system incorporated a parking brake function.  It worked great, and was fairly cheap. 

Secondly, with the majority of the rider weight over the rear wheels, I would suggest putting the discs on them, rather than the front wheel.   Your son will get much better performance.  Just braking the front wheel will increase the probability of locking up the whell and skidding

Have fun with the project, and with your son.:)

TTFN,
Dennis