Author Topic: Electrical problem with dual Magic Pie  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Tally Ho

• Confirmed
Electrical problem with dual Magic Pie
« on: March 26, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »
Hi Allan. Having problem with my Dual Magic Pie. 750w Front & 750w Rear. It has Internal controllers On a Giant UCAN 2 bicycle. Suddenly the other week the throttle would not shut down until I turned off the battery. Then when turned on again the throttle was now dead and the horn. Until! I pressed the cruse control. Then It flew off and would not stop again. Until! I left it for an hour-ish. Then worked ok again for a couple of miles or so. Have you met this problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ken

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Electrical problem with dual Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:22 AM »

Hi Ken andto the forum.

It would be helpful to know which version of the Magic Pie you have (MPI, MPII or MPIII) and whether the problem with the throttle occurred in wet or dry conditions.

Did you modify the wiring harness yourself or did it come from the factory pre-wired for the dual Pies?

If the fault occurred in the dry, it may have been caused by a break somewhere in the ground connection circuit, or possibly a temporary short circuit between the throttle 5V supply and the throttle output signal.

If it happened in the wet, I suspect that some rainwater may have found its way into one of the connectors and was allowing battery voltage to activate the throttle due to the water allowing voltage to travel through it across two adjacent pins inside one of the connectors.
If this was the case, you will need to disconnect each of the connections and check closely for any signs of water.

If your brake switches are fitted, but applying the brake did not stop the motors, I think it is more likely to be a break (or poor connection) somewhere on the common ground wire that is used for the throttle, battery gauge, horn, lights, pedelec sensor, cruise control and brake switches.

This is the best advice I can offer based on the information that you have provided.

Alan