Author Topic: Magic Pie III Updates  (Read 101355 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III Updates
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 02:35:34 PM »
Sorry just 1 more because I'm so jealous....

Officer: "Excuse me sir, what is all this business on the end of your bicycle?"
Gary: "I like to keep my soup in there...."
Officer: "Oh good idea, on your way"
Gary: "Muhauhahahahaa" *whizzes away at 2400watts*

Looks amazing Gary, you must be proud of your new baby :D

It surely must be getting difficult to decide what to ride each day!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:38:20 PM by MonkeyMagic »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2011, 12:11:13 AM »
Sorry just 1 more because I'm so jealous....

Officer: "Excuse me sir, what is all this business on the end of your bicycle?"
Gary: "I like to keep my soup in there...."
Officer: "Oh good idea, on your way"
Gary: "Muhauhahahahaa" *whizzes away at 2400watts*

Looks amazing Gary, you must be proud of your new baby :D

It surely must be getting difficult to decide what to ride each day!

lol, very funny! I really don't have trouble deciding. This is the main ride now for sure. Its kinda like when you buy a new car or motorcycle. When your at home you position yourself by the window so you can look at it :)

The other day I went to the arena with my daughter on the back of the tandem. Its still a blast and really fun for two but it's not my "Townie" :)

Gary

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:44:57 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »

Curse you Gary !@!!@!

I have to admit, sometimes when I am in the shop working on my bike I find myself thinking "hahahahaha, wait 'til Monkey see this!!!". Sometimes I even say it out loud. The other day my son was in the shop and he overheard me and asked "Who's Monkey?". Of course I replied. Remember that crazy bike in the forum with the multiple video screens, dvr, defensive water jets, etc... that guy..

Still think you have the coolest build ever. How can you be jealous of my bike when yours have everything x10 :) There are more original ideas on your bike then any other I have ever seen!

Gary
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:14:14 AM by GM Canada »

Offline rageon09

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks so I guess I should chime in now.

I'm starting on a custom BTR style electric bike and the biggest question is... should I get the MPII now or wait till next year and get the MPIII when it comes out (maybe Jan but might be later right Gary?)

The new version does seem loads better!

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
I perfect answer for you...

"It Depends"

If you are looking for a easy, quick and clean setup. With a motor powerfull enough for street use and fun offroad. I would go MP3. The MP3 looks to have an easier setup for replacing the controller plus it has an excelant method of cooling. So it does look promising that it will be more reliable then the MP2.

If you are looking for something with the same amount of power with quick and easy replacement of the controller I would go MP2 External. If the controller ever fails its a simple method of unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one. I regularily carry an extra controller so if I or anyone I am riding with ever has an issue we can be rolling again in 5 minutes. Also if you wanted to take it a step higher with a more powerfull third party controller an external system makes this easier to do that.

Gary

Offline rageon09

• Confirmed
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 07:55:50 PM »
Gary, Gary... "It depends" is not an answer at all! But thanks for trying to explain it to me.

I guess having an external controller is "safer" in the sense that if it fails I can replace it easily. But I really like the new fan and wiring of the MPIII. Also the new version is supposed to be more reliable right? I guess I can wait a month of so. MPIII is exclusively internal control? Any reason why that's the case?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »
I made a quick video of how I made my Magic Pie III Dual drive Harness. After completing this I realized the same thing could be done to make a dual drive with MP2 internal motors. This is a much cleaner setup for dual drive. What was I thinking before? Anyway I am sure some wires are not nessasary to split and some will probably say my method may cause problems. All I can say is its working perfectly :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrMFDoWwP7A

Gary
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 03:16:06 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 03:09:45 AM »
when it comes out (maybe Jan but might be later right Gary?)

Could be January, Could be later. All I know is I have a sea order that just left there with no MPIII on board again  :(

Gary

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 04:06:05 AM »
nice connection but is it weather proof? Have you ask GM to make a console like or better then bionx g2 for there new and shinny MP3? ::)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2011, 12:10:23 AM »
nice connection but is it weather proof? Have you ask GM to make a console like or better then bionx g2 for there new and shinny MP3? ::)

The tape job is pretty good and the cable hangs in a way that it would be difficult for water to get in. I guess if it was submerged for a while the water may get in but if that happened I think there would be other things to worry about :)

Gary

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
Its kinda like when you buy a new car or motorcycle. When your at home you position yourself by the window so you can look at it :)

LOL! I thought I was the only one that did that.... Haha I seriously think I did more looking at my bike than building it. Considering much of the time it was super cold winter, I remember looking at it eyeing off where I could mount my gear while I was in front of the heater the whole time haha

The other day I went to the arena with my daughter on the back of the tandem. Its still a blast and really fun for two but it's not my "Townie" :)

Gary

Yes the Townie looks comfy as! I'm so wondering what it would be like if you went on a massive ride and see how far you can get with your uber battery pack, maybe the wife can pick you up where you end up? :D

But its probably too cold now to do that....

Also, was there any access for squeezing wires inside the frame? Or no room...

cheers

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
Gary, you have a nice growing collection of video clips. Has anyone ever told you that you sound just like Bob Ross? ;D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 11:21:56 PM »

Yes the Townie looks comfy as! I'm so wondering what it would be like if you went on a massive ride and see how far you can get with your uber battery pack, maybe the wife can pick you up where you end up? :D

But its probably too cold now to do that....

Also, was there any access for squeezing wires inside the frame? Or no room...

cheers

The Townie is very comfy. I don't think I will ever go back to leaning forward with all my weight on my hands anymore. Not as the main ride anyway.

Yes it is getting cold. Today was nice in the afternoon. But morning rides are on damp cold and busy roads. Geting a tad dangerous.

The cables that go though the frame go through plastic pieces that are molded to fit in the frame. They can be easy removed leaving a larger hole and some cabling could probably be threaded though the frame. Time is my enemy and could not attempt it when I did the bike. Maybe over the winter I'll give it shot.

Gary

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 09:28:49 PM »
OMG Gary the Chinese copy monkey's bike design

WEEKEND SALE: $649.95

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2011, 12:16:42 AM »
OMG Gary the Chinese copy Monkey's bike design

WEEKEND SALE: $649.95

Not even close! All that for 649.95. The quality must be outstanding!

Gary