Author Topic: Magic Pie III Updates  (Read 101347 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Magic Pie III Updates
« on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:02 AM »
Since there is no official topic on this motor, maybe it’s time to start one.

As posted in another thread I received two sample Magic Pie 3 Motors on Nov 4th 2011. These are sample motors and not all the functions work yet but they are a good example of what is to come. Since about January of 2010 there have been many rumors about the Magic Pie version three and it has been said many times since "They will be out in a few weeks". As you can see by the writing of this it is actually 10 months later and as far as I can tell the release has been pushed off at least until 2012 now. There are still tests being made, new ideas being put forth and improvements being planned and developed.

Of course in the best interest for Golden Motor I will only discuss what the current motors I have can do and will not speculate  much on what changes are being made and what is still being planned unless I am told it can be public knowledge.  Who really knows what the final result will be.

I think most people that have heard of the Magic Pie understand already that since its inception, the goal of the Magic Pie is that anyone could install a high quality electric bike conversion kit on their bike as easily as possible with a very clean and impressive final look.

At first look, even though it is still in development, It looks very promising that the MPIII is going to bring this goal to a reality.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. As most in the forum would know I am not a technical guy. Also I am at a loss when it comes to details like fets, caps, sensors, etc. But I do have practical “hands on” experience. In the past two years I have done more ebike conversions then most people ever will do.  All of my conversions have been simple and quick. I don’t have the time for some of the elaborate conversions you see in the forum.  But I can easily judge if something is lighter, faster, quieter, smaller, easier or cooler looking.

I have build my first MPIII ebike, Let’s get the conversation started.

Gary

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:45:55 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie III Updates
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »

This promotional picture has alot of information.

30 percent more Climbing torque. This I can say without a doubt has been accomplisehed. I did a torque test video and the MPII internal would deliver about 800 watts peak, I am seeing 1200 watts and a 1297 peak on one take off. Take a look at this video to see the torque and hear the motor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5RtYeUmW1U

Easily replaceable controller. I have not attempted this yet. But the new controller location and hub design does make it look easy.

Better Heat Dissipating with self cooling fan. After that torque video I went back and forth over that same bridge 3 more times to see how hot the motor would get. I could clearly feel alot of warm air dissipating from the vents on the fan side of the motor.

Water-proof Wiring set with silver plated plug-ins. The cables have been completly redone from end to end and the improvment in quality and ease of use is very good. More about this in my next post.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:49:27 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 02:41:40 AM »

This picture shows a new wire set design. Although the wireset I received does not look like this one the concept is the same. Each plug can only fit in the correct mated plug. This really simplifies the instalation removing any doubt of doing a correct hookup. There is only one wire thats extends from the motor. It splits into two wires. One goes to the battery and one all the way up to the handle bars. At this point it splits to four plugs where you can easily plug in your brake levers, control buttons and throttle.

Gary

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
Raises hand to be among the first real customers.

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
Hmmm I'm not really impressed with that massive interconnecting plug, it looks huge!!!
Why it couldn't be a waterproof IDC connector or something similar, way too much 'plug and play' in my opinion.

Unfortunate to say that if I end up getting this revision of the wheel, I'd be hacking up those muthas quick smart!

lots of cable ties.....

:D

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
I thought the same at first as well but since I don't have a dashboard to hide my wires behind like you have I have grown to like it. It sure simplifies things. Now it's even going to be color coded so any buffoon can plug it together without mistakes. Of course too much honey wine may cause problems still  ;)

Not sure why the outside plugs would be different colours though as they are identical brake lever plugs. Looks like a photoshopped picture anyway.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 02:02:37 AM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »
Magic Pie III Unboxing video.

From cutting the box to test spinup, everything a person would need to know to setup a Magic Pie III in 2 minutes and forty seconds. Follow the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVsQs4TwJHk

Gary
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 01:57:44 AM by spellchecker »

Offline MelbourneRider

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 10:40:57 AM »
Hi all, I'm a long time forum reader but a first time poster. It's a really good quality video you got there Gary! And nice floor board you got there on the video!  ;)

Have you got more updates on the pie3?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:57 PM »
Does the Magic Pie III come with External Controller?

There may be one someday. But at this time there is no reason to build it. The main differences between MPII and MPIII is in the internal version. Better more powerfull internal controller. Upgraded all in one wireset, etc. My next sea order leaving is all MPII external controller kits as there is no plans fro MP3 external at this time.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 11:17:15 PM »
Hi all, I'm a long time forum reader but a first time poster. It's a really good quality video you got there Gary! And nice floor board you got there on the video!  ;)

Have you got more updates on the pie3?

lol, that's the floor behind my desk in my office. I spin my chair around a video tape then spin back and upload :) I have taken many pictures on this floor as well. I guess those will be easy to tell if someone steals them for their own use.  ;)

I have a few quick take off videos to show the peak amps. I'll upload those tonight I hope. Business and work are interfering with my MPIII hugging time :)

The current word is no MPIII will ship until at least Jan 2012 :(

Gary

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 12:30:22 AM by spellchecker »

Offline Nightwind

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
Gary have you connect a pedelec to your mp3? or is that not possible with internal controller?

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 09:46:58 PM »
There is a plug for the pedelec on the MP3. I briefly mention it 56 seconds in on my unboxing video. I have noticed that for a rear MP III setup the cable will be fine in a front MP III setup the cable may have to be extended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVsQs4TwJHk

Gary
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:51:54 PM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
I could not resist!!

Dare I say the worlds first Dual Drive MPIII. Its now turning into some sort of super bike, two motors three batteries... WooHoo!!!

Gary

Offline MelbourneRider

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 04:33:41 AM »
Wow Gary! That's just super!

I bet we all want one!! I can't wait till I got my hands on pie3 but with (much less) battery packs...

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
I could not resist!!

Dare I say the worlds first Dual Drive MPIII. Its now turning into some sort of super bike, two motors three batteries... WooHoo!!!

Gary

Curse you Gary !@!!@!
Dang you and that infernal generous pocket of yours!!

All you need now is a VAWT or a few mice on generator wheels inside your Bob trailer and you can do intercontinental deliveries!! :D

I do need to know 1 thing regarding your install... And that's how you pulled this one off with the wife...
I'm assuming it went something along the lines of:

Gary- "Yeah honey Magic Pie III, to obtain the maximum power you need 3 batteries hence the 3 part..."
Wife- "Ohhhhhh of course!, Silly me Gary you just continue being so super"
Gary- "Muhuhhahahahaa" *whizzes away at 2400watts*

;)

Edit>> How did I not notice the front wheel!!!!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:37:14 PM by MonkeyMagic »