Author Topic: MP EDGE: bearing sizes?  (Read 17 times)

Offline Thingamajig

• Confirmed
MP EDGE: bearing sizes?
« on: April 29, 2024, 02:21:35 PM »
So my MP: Edge has developed a odd sound when running. Sorta like a loose bearing sound.

I disassembled the hub, and noticed the small bearing was alright, smooth motion, no noise or gritty feeling in it's movement.

The large one however had a bit of noise to it, and was a bit gritty feeling in it's motion -- due replacing it seems.

However, my idiot ass didn't write down the names of the bearing sizes, and from what i've found online replacements are costly (like, >$100 costly) which is just a bit crazy to me.

In the meantime I re-greased the noisy bearing in the hopes to get continued use from it for a few months. I do need to source a replacement though so if anyone can tell me what size this bearing is and/or a source with a reasonable price i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP EDGE: bearing sizes?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:23:48 AM »
If you have the standard (Non-cassette) version of the Edge, I'm pretty sure that it uses the same bearing as the MPIII, 4 & 5:

However, if yours is the cassette version, the large bearing should still be the same (6917) but the single 6302 bearing has been replaced by two smaller bearings within the free hub as shown below:

I recommend using a 6901-2RS instead of the 6901-ZZ for the freehub as the rubber seals should help to keep the grease in and the dirt and water out.  ;)

I suggest that you try searching eBay for a 6917-2RS bearing and see what you can find.

Alan