Author Topic: Is 10KW Air/Liquid cooled motor sufficient to reach up to 100 mph?  (Read 4661 times)

Offline Chils41

• Confirmed
Hi All,

My first post here and a question before I make an expensive mistake.

I just acquired a 1995 Kawasaki Ninja 250 for $200 and want to turn into electric.
My goals(expectations) with this motorcycle are to reach 100mph speed and 100 miles range.

Following is my proposed setup:

Motor: 10KW Air/Cooled motor
Controller: KLS96601-8080H
Battery: 109.20V 26S2P 126Ah (Lipolymer 63Ah pouch cell)

Hopefully, the curb weight should be less than 300Lb.

My question is it going to be possible to get past 100mph speed with correct gear ratio?

Thanks.
ChiRag

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Is 10KW Air/Liquid cooled motor sufficient to reach up to 100 mph?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 12:10:01 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

I think the Brammo Empulse R was the first electric production motorcycle to exceed 100 mph, and that had a 40kW output and a six speed gearbox.

I think you would be lucky to hit 80 mph with a 10kW motor, and pulling away on an incline would be very slow if it was geared  to achieve a theoretical 100 mph.

The biggest drawback with electric motors (excluding the weight of the batteries required to power them) is that the torque reduces as the speed increases, therefore it is difficult to produce the required torque at high speed without very high gearing.

My Vectrix Electric scooter has a 30Ah 125V NiMh battery Pack and weighs 460 lb, and its top speed is currently limited to ~73mph, and its motor has a peak output of 20.2 kW (27.1 hp).

Without a 20mph tailwind, I don't think it would get anywhere near 100 mph on the flat (even with much higher gearing) due to the huge increase in wind resistance at higher speeds.

The power required to overcome aerodynamic drag increases with the cube of the velocity, therefore eight times as much power would be required to overcome the aerodynamic drag in order to double your speed.

As an example, if a bike uses 5hp to maintain a steady speed of 50mph on a level road, it would require ~40hp to maintain a speed of 100mph on the same level road.  :o

I suggest you do some further research before parting with your hard earned money to avoid disappointment.

With your proposed setup, the 100 mile range should be realistically achievable, but not the 100 mph top speed.  ;)

Alan

Offline Knightgreider

• Confirmed
Re: Is 10KW Air/Liquid cooled motor sufficient to reach up to 100 mph?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 06:20:14 PM »
Man, I thought my moped would fly with 72v. I can't imagine 125v!