Author Topic: light weight “E” mx bike build mystery  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Edemon

• Confirmed
light weight “E” mx bike build mystery
« on: April 01, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
Hello All.. First Post here!
I am completely green to all of this.
Would love suggestions of motor type/size. Voltage, Battery type and capacity et cetera  Especially the electrical componentry required.
I am hoping to build a neighbourhood friendly motocross/crosstrainer bike with lots of jam!!!
I have a background in composites having built full carbon race boats and aviation cowlings.

My hope is to design a light weight “100ish” lb full carbon chassis and swing arm with a mix of downhill mtb. And light motor cross components in a e bike.
I am looking for a torquey bike(easy wheelies for log hops etcetera) I’d like about 25-40 min run time of tight aggressive single track (mix of hills and flat) and probably no more than 35 mph.

I was thinking to go with the bldc  5kw liquid motor at 96v. And two lifepo4 48v15ah batteries but have no real world experience to know if im on the right track..

I have recently read about axial flux motors and they seem quite interesting.. not sure if avail. From GM.

Please share your thoughts/ experiences.

Thanks in advance guys.

Exciting things to come!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: light weight “E” mx bike build mystery
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »
Hi Edemon andto the forum.

The following 3kW and 5kW bikes from the GM website are both air cooled, but the larger 10kW motor below is liquid cooled.
Air cooling will be the lightest and simplest option as it does not require the additional pipework, radiator and coolant pump etc..

5kW should be ideal for your proposed use but if you need more power, check out the 10kW bike below.

See the above bike in action on YouTube.
Further details can be found on the manufacturer's website.

Here is a short video of the above 10kW bike in action.
Details of the 10kW liquid cooled bike build can be found here.

I think you'll find that the above GM BLDC motors are all axial flux motors.  ;)

Alan

Offline Edemon

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 01:18:05 AM »
Hi Allan, Thanks for the welcome and the links are interesting.especially the trials bike.
My understanding (keep in mind im very new to all this) is that these GM motors are all radial flux.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:11:31 AM »
The current GM hubmotors used for pushbike conversions are all radial flux, as the laminated cores of the coils are arranged in a radial pattern around the stator with the magnets mounted inside the outer hub ring, which rotates around the outside of the coils:

But I'm pretty sure that the 3kW, 5kW and 10kW GM motors used in the aforementioned motorcycles are all axial flux, as the laminated cores of the coils are all placed axially around the centre shaft, with the magnets being mounted on a separate drive plate at the end of the coils as shown here:

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Alan