Author Topic: Smart Pie 700 C Rear Hub Wheel Factory Tire Fitment  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
Smart Pie 700 C Rear Hub Wheel Factory Tire Fitment
« on: August 02, 2020, 03:19:51 PM »
Is there a specific tire fitment that is meant for this wheel? I need to order a new set of tires for my Hybrid bike.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smart Pie 700 C Rear Hub Wheel Factory Tire Fitment
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 05:43:18 PM »
The 700c rim is the same as a 28/29" rim and will accept various width tyres, but your bike frame may not have sufficient clearance to accommodate wider tyres, so it is probably best to replace them with the same size tyres as the ones that are already fitted to avoid any clearance problems.

I have 700x38C (40-622) tyres on one bike and 29x2.1 (54-622) and 29x2.25 (57-622) on another bike with identical 700c rims.

The size of your existing tyres should be printed/embossed somewhere on the sidewall if you look carefully enough.  ;)

Alan

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 06:17:22 PM »
Perfect, I have 700x35. Do you think that a 48 mm valve stem will work or do I need a 60 mm stem?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 07:50:56 PM »
I use schrader valves (car style) in preference to Presta as they're a much better fit in the larger GM valve holes.

A schrader valve also allows you to easily remove the valve core to enable slime sealant to be pumped into the tube to give better long-term protection against punctures and slow air leakage.

With the deep "V" GM rims, a longer stem is always preferable to a short one, as it is better to have too much valve protruding from the rim than too little.  ;)
I have used shorter 40mm schrader valves but they can be very difficult to inflate from flat as they will easily push back into the rim.
I would always use a screw on extension to prevent this from happening and then remove it once the tyre had been properly inflated to hold the valve in its correct position.

Check out this video for more information on inner tubes.

Alan